Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Post your 3G sim adapter unlock success stories here

Guys if you used for a few days and lost your sinal here what you do take out your sim

card put in another phone to get your sinal then put back your iphone 3G

i m using T-mobile now i do this when i lose my sinal read this then you know what i mean

It's a TMSI solution. Read it before you buy it..

What is TMSI ?

When Mobile phone connects to the network, it sends a IMSI to netowrk system.
    (IMSI just like a passport, Let you go to the network..)

The system will give this phone a "TMSI" code and save it in SIM card.
    (TMSI just likes a temporary passport)
    Now, This phone uses the TMSI to netowrk. it will let the system be efficient

But..when the system ask for a IMSI (passport)..If the phone can not send a IMSI to network, the connection will be out. Even you turn off/on you phone again afetr that . doesn't work..

Above is XXX-SIM and iPHONE 3G story.. No one can let iphone 3G send IMSI to system currently.

Actually TMSI solution was released in Feb, 2008 by iNEX HyperSIM.
    It was used on Docomo Japanese phones.. It's not a perfect solution.

That's why the XXXX-SIM was able to be released so soon...They just
    offer an old product...

When using TMSI solution with 3G iPHONE, you will get..

1. 2G mode : make/receive calls - OK. SMS-the same
    3G mode : make calls -OK, receive call - No. SMS-the same

2. When moving from GSM tower to another one (If system ask for IMSI ),
    it may be show singal out.

Then you must put SIM card a another phone, power on and get a signal
    ( send IMSI and get TMSI).. OK, you can put SIM to iPHONE 3G and it works..
    ( Someone called it " CPR" .. very interesting )

3. Even you don't move.. the system will ask IMSI within 3~7 days. Singal out again.

That why - when using these XXX SIM, they suggest to inset SIM a phone and get a signal.

If there is no new unlock solution, you have to keep 2 phones in hand (3G iphone and another one) When Signal out, Do CPR ... maybe every day..

sad news. I lost signal again. So removed the sim. Upon close inspection the universal sim had a small tear at the bottom severing one of the contacts. I believe this is why I was losing signal. I decided to try to tape it and see if that would be a sufficent solution. Well it didn't work. Upon trying to remove it the tray got jammed. I guess I put the tape on wrong. Long story short I cracked the top of my sim tray and ripped the little microchip off the universal sim in the process. Guy is out of town till Sunday. Hopefully he'll hook me up with a free replacment. Until then i'm back on my 2G. Be careful if your going to tape anything. Bad experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    sad news. I lost signal again. So removed the sim. Upon close inspection the universal sim had a small tear at the bottom severing one of the contacts. I believe this is why I was losing signal. I decided to try to tape it and see if that would be a sufficent solution. Well it didn't work. Upon trying to remove it the tray got jammed. I guess I put the tape on wrong. Long story short I cracked the top of my sim tray and ripped the little microchip off the universal sim in the process. Guy is out of town till Sunday. Hopefully he'll hook me up with a free replacment. Until then i'm back on my 2G. Be careful if your going to tape anything. Bad experience for me.
    Sorry to hear that. So far I haven't lost any signal yet. I hope he'll give you a free replacement. Good luck.

I bought a pack of 10 Universal Sim from authorized Universal Sim reseller since that is the only way I could get a free Pkey reader and dummy sim. I'm planning to sell 8 of them so I can recover some of the amount I paid for them and then keep 2 for myself.
    iPhone 2G 8gb - version 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak (iLiberty+)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 3.0 unlocked (Ultrasn0w) / jailbreak (Redsn0w)

So what about these guys who claim they solved the network drop issue? Anyone tried?

No cut SIM card on eBay

I found a problem in v5.5. That if your phone go into a no signal zone, it will stay at no service until you reboot the phone. Also Egde will disappear frequently. I'm now back at v5.4 which didn't have a single problem with edge or no service issue. I think v 5.4 Is the best for Tmobile Usa.

I recommend everyone with universal sim on Tmobile Usa use version 5.4

I think I should make a video to show you guys how to tape the sim as well as how to take it out without breaking anything...

Also, there are 2 version of universal sim, one thicker and one thinner. The one thinner is very thin and has the print "www.sim.bz" on it. Mine is the thinner one.

Besides, I cut 1/4 of my sim straight off. I think it could be another reason that it is easy to pull out. Anyway, I'll make a video and show everyone!

@luvmyfone

If you have problem restoring your iPhone 3g with the tmobile and universal sim adapter inside, just put the AT&T sim card inside and restore!

My itunes have never ask me anything about my sim, or said anything about it sim is unsupported... Could it be because my iTunes is pwned? Probably!

If you use winpwn to jailbreak your phone, I think you have to do a restore. Since winpwn is actually just a software to create custom firmware for iPhone! If you plan to use your official AT&T simcard in the future then Uncheck activate in winpwn. If you don't use AT&T simcard in the future, then you should Check activate in winpwn when making custom firmware!

if you Check activate in winpwn, official AT&T simcard will not work in your iPhone.
    Last edited by istorm; 2008-09-13 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by istorm View Post
    I found a problem in v5.5. That if your phone go into a no signal zone, it will stay at no service until you reboot the phone. Also Egde will disappear frequently. I'm now back at v5.4 which didn't have a single problem with edge or no service issue. I think v 5.4 Is the best for Tmobile Usa.

I think I should make a video to show you guys how to tape the sim as well as how to take it out without breaking anything...

Also, there are 2 version of universal sim, one thicker and one thinner. The one thinner is very thin and has the print "www.sim.bz" on it. Mine is the thinner one.

Besides, I cut 1/4 of my sim straight off. I think it could be another reason that it is easy to pull out. Anyway, I'll make a video and show everyone!

@luvmyfone

If you have problem restoring your iPhone 3g with the tmobile and universal sim adapter inside, just put the AT&T sim card inside and restore!

My itunes have never ask me anything about my sim, or said anything about it sim is unsupported... Could it be because my iTunes is pwned? Probably!

If you use winpwn to jailbreak your phone, I think you have to do a restore. Since winpwn is actually just a software to create custom firmware for iPhone! If you plan to use your official AT&T simcard in the future then Uncheck activate in winpwn. If you don't use AT&T simcard in the future, then you should Check activate in winpwn when making custom firmware!

if you Check activate in winpwn, official AT&T simcard will not work in your iPhone.
    Hi! Thanks for your advice. Regarding my Universal Sim, I did not have to reboot my phone when it goes to a no signal zone. It comes back automatically when I'm out of the no signal zone. I also have the thinner version. It has universal-sim.org print on it. I bought it from authorized reseller in China.

Question for you... how do you pwn iTunes? It's a hassle for me whenever I want to sync my iPhone because iTunes kept on saying invalid sim inserted so I have to always swap my T-Mobile sim with the AT&T sim whenever I sync it to iTunes. I bought my phone used and activated already. I used QuickPwn to jailbreak it. I have never restored it ever since I bought it. I was planning to use WinPwn at first but I had problem with it since I cannot see the lower right part of the WinPwn screen. Same thing with QuickPwn but I was able to see the next arrow button. I do not know why I cannot see the lower part of the screen. I'm using Windows XP.

Another question, if I pwn iTunes, do I need to restore my phone? Will I loose all my contacts and apps that I have installed?
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyfone View Post
    Hi! Thanks for your advice. Regarding my Universal Sim, I did not have to reboot my phone when it goes to a no signal zone. It comes back automatically when I'm out of the no signal zone. I also have the thinner version. It has universal-sim.org print on it. I bought it from authorized reseller in China.

Question for you... how do you pwn iTunes? It's a hassle for me whenever I want to sync my iPhone because iTunes kept on saying invalid sim inserted so I have to always swap my T-Mobile sim with the AT&T sim whenever I sync it to iTunes. I bought my phone used and activated already. I used QuickPwn to jailbreak it. I have never restored it ever since I bought it. I was planning to use WinPwn at first but I had problem with it since I cannot see the lower right part of the WinPwn screen. Same thing with QuickPwn but I was able to see the next arrow button. I do not know why I cannot see the lower part of the screen. I'm using Windows XP.

Another question, if I pwn iTunes, do I need to restore my phone? Will I loose all my contacts and apps that I have installed?
    you cant pwn iTunes... my guess is that your phone was activated using an at&t sim card, so that is what is registered via iTunes.. what I suggest doing is creating a custom firmware ipsw using the pwnage tool and make sure when it asks you if you have a contract which enables you to register the phone say no, that way it activates it for you and you should have no problems syncing with iTunes after that. But if you do this, you may not be able to use your at&t sim in the iPhone... not sure if thats something you need from time to time, but just letting you know

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

dang, i wanna grab a 3g already but wont until i know it works steadily on tmobile. my 2g is feelin a bit old lol. not really. but i want to upgrade. maybe ill go grab i soon n keep hoping for a unlock and until then jus keep using my 2g

thanks for yoiur guys' reviews. pushes me to keep waiting
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

UPDATE: finally got a replacement universal sim. 3G phone is back online since yesterday. I notice the GPS sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't now. Not sure why.

@iStorm: progress report?? Any hickups?

How do I remove a sim adapter if I wana change the the existing unlocked simcard?

Because I'm not all that familiar with this...

Would a US iPhone with a Universal SIM adapter work in other countries? Or is it just the US?

I assume it would work anywhere but I just wanted to be sure.

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

@luvmyfone

Im curious did you ever make this video? I am waiting for a sim adapter which should be here by Saturday so started reading all your suggestions now to avoid the headaches later!! I like the idea of using the file to slim down the orig sim card and hope the listing was correct by saying it was the new thinner sim adapter I bought, I did pay $25 for it including shipping so not too bad, Im just tired f looking at the 3G sitting in the box, It also says comes with "software" for updating when needed but I read here that it takes a pkey reader? Is this the case for all universal sim adapters?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

Default universal -sim works great with T-Mobile USA
    I have been using a universal-sim for about 4 weeks now and have not had a single problem.

iPhone 3G FW 2.0.2 BB 02.08.01 "But I have heard reports that it works with 2.1" T-Mobile USA

Calls in/out = working
    Edge = wotking
    GPS = working
    Caller ID = working
    SMS in/out = working

universal-sim (The thin one) v5.00 waiting for a pkey so I can update it but I'm not really in a rush since its been working fine.
    Last edited by jimbeam4581; 2008-09-18 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbeam4581 View Post
    I have been using a universal-sim for about 4 weeks now and have not had a single problem.

iPhone 3G FW 2.0.2 BB 02.08.01 "But I have heard reports that it works with 2.1" T-Mobile USA

Calls in/out = working
    Edge = wotking
    GPS = working
    Caller ID = working
    SMS in/out = working

universal-sim (The thin one) v5.00 waiting for a pkey so I can update it but I'm not really in a rush since its been working fine.
    Can you briefly explain what this pkey is and if I am going to need one where do I look? I have googled etc looked on ebay and see a few items but not sure if same? It seems to be going for around $200?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

I am on like week 2 with I-sim adapter and it works fine, all calls, sms, and data.

The only problem ive had so far is after a week and a half I had no service and ended up putting the sim back in my t-mobile phone and repopping it back into the iPhone and I was back up and running again on 2.1

Default Universal Sim
    I'm using universal sim right now. Updated to v5.40. I'm in California with Tmobile. Only been using it for 24h

Signal is good. Turn off and on pick up fast!
    Driving around the city for 6 hours and didn't lose signal!
    Tzone hack work. But must turn on data roaming!
    Gps work, but must turn on 3g in setting to get exact location (the dot)
    Incoming call, out going, SMS in and out works great!
    iPhone 3g pick up Tmobile signal better than 1st gen iPhone.

I'm happy for now!
    Btw I'm on 2.0.2 pwned with jailbreak and activation! Root size set to 1000mb!

u can buy this universal sim from some of the resellers on their website! Make sure u askthem to update the sim to the latest software, or else it won't work! Those sellers are lazy as $&@$. If u want it to keep working, u have to buy a pkey updater for $30. The sim is $20

Hey I am interested in buying two of these can you send me the exact link to where you bought it? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by agi2002 View Post
    Hey I am interested in buying two of these can you send me the exact link to where you bought it? Thanks!!!
    You can buy a pkey reader for $15.69 each at GSM Traders

PkeyV SmartCard Reader*::*All*::*Phone service devices*::*Gsm Traders Ltd

They also sell Universal Sim for $19.64 each

Universal-SIM*::*Nokia*::*Phone service devices*::*Gsm Traders Ltd

Ask them first if the Universal Sim they're selling is the thinner version because their stock picture is the thicker version. They are authorized reseller of Universal Sim.

I bought my Universal Sim and pkey reader from another authorized seller in China. They're not selling them now on their website.

So far, my only complaint is that there are few websites that I can't view when using edge but when using wifi, I can view them... weird. I'm still deciding whether to upgrade to 2.1. I'm afraid to brick my phone. I've read too many horror stories about jailbreaking 2.1.
    Last edited by luvmyfone; 2008-09-19 at 03:40 AM.

So far, my only complaint is that there are few websites that I can't view when using edge but when using wifi, I can view them... weird. I'm still deciding whether to upgrade to 2.1. I'm afraid to brick my phone. I've read too many horror stories about jailbreaking 2.1.
    I have a problem sometimes with edge, it gives me that error 500... then I just hit the reload button and it clears up. And sometimes if I leave wifi on for an extended period of time(while in my house), lets say around a 12 hour period, when I turn it off my edge is out, and I have to reboot a couple times to get it back on... or maybe Im being impatient, its possible it could come back all by itself given the right amout of time.

Also I sometimes lose signal in places where I know a strong signal exists, I get the NO SIM error and I have to wait a min or two for the signal to pick back up... not sure if thats a problem with the alignment of the universal sim or what, but it appears to happen in the same areas, so not sure if this is coincidence or what.

I was told I am on the latest version(5.5) from the guy that sold it to me, but i really have no way of checking that.

As for upgrading to firmware 2.1, what are you waiting for?! I did and now the phone functions like it should have during the initial launch of 2.0! Great update, Pwnage tool worked fine, as always. I really suggest making the jump. I did on my iPhone(3G iPhone) and the other 3(2G iPhones) in my family all operating on T-Mobile.

Thanks very much for the link to the pkey, Are there different models because the one I see is $24 not $15? Still a lot cheaper than I had found !

You can buy a pkey reader for $15.69 each at GSM Traders

PkeyV SmartCard Reader*::*All*::*Phone service devices*::*Gsm Traders Ltd

They also sell Universal Sim for $19.64 each

Universal-SIM*::*Nokia*::*Phone service devices*::*Gsm Traders Ltd

Ask them first if the Universal Sim they're selling is the thinner version because their stock picture is the thicker version. They are authorized reseller of Universal Sim.

I bought my Universal Sim and pkey reader from another authorized seller in China. They're not selling them now on their website.

[FONT="Arial Black"]

Default iSmartphone
    I ordered an iSmartPhone SIM from eBay for about $16. No cut sim card however they are almost impossible to put in without catching on the sim release lever and the actual chip is too high to slide in

The first one I received worked for a day and then stopped.

I got another and sanded down my carrier sim and superglued the very edge with just the smallest amount of glue to keep it from catching. I also used a file to make the height of the chip smaller so it will slide in.
    After this - inserted and turned on the phone.
    I was very skeptical and thought that this would last a day too but its been running for 9 days now continuously...data works, airplane mode works, SMS works, calls work. I even travelled a long distance and it worked. Its perfect. Im amazed. Perhaps the latest versions do actually keep the signal like they say they do? Of course, it still might fail...

Im using the original boot rom with 2.1 firmware. Carrier is Softbank in Japan (I darent update the boot rom in case it stops working)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast