Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leaving the US; What do I do

Question Leaving the US; What do I do
    Hey everyone, I'm leaving the US to go to Ireland with a 2.0.2 1st-gen iPhone.

I saw that AT&T is offering ridiculous international roaming plans, which I don't feel I should have to pay for. ($150 on top of $80 already?!?)

I have no problem with unlocking the phone (assuming the dev team comes up with it by the time I leave), but if I can unlock my phone, what do I do from there? I don't want to sign up for an international account (O2?), and I want data features, so using the SIM from a tracphone seems out of the picture. Any suggestions? Should I upgrade to the 3G version to go international? Even if I get a 3G in the US, can I use it internationally?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

*EDIT*

Forgot to mention, you can't unlock 3G versions yet so I wouldn't recommend getting that yet. What I do is get a prepaid sim for local calling and data, then I buy a calling card to call home to the states.
    Last edited by oo3; 2008-08-29 at 07:16 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oo3 For This Useful Post:

citenx (2008-08-29)

Good call on the 3G. Any specific carrier? Also, any rumblings on a 2.0.2 downgrade/unlock? I've been checking the dev team blog, but nothing yet. I leave on 9/4.

Not sure what carrier's are good in Ireland. But o2 is big i guess.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oo3 For This Useful Post:

citenx (2008-08-29)

Thanks

I saw that AT&T is offering ridiculous international roaming plans, which I don't feel I should have to pay for. ($150 on top of $80 already?!?)
    I haven't checked recently, but did they hike the price up? I took my 2G iPhone over to Germany in March and I got the international iPhone plan for $24.99. I think it was 10mB which i got as an insurance policy of sorts. The larger plan was still only $59.99 or something like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

citenx (2008-08-29)

I reviewed the rates and they're not that outlandish, but they did go up. I'll most likely go with the 50 mb plan. I'll still have to use a calling card/Skype to contact the states at reasonable rates, correct?

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

pay $23 and get the SIM unlock clip like I did. Then when you get to Ireland go buy a prepaid sim card at 7/11.

Don't do what I did a year ago with original iPhone, I went to Thailand and when I came back I had $1800 AT&T bill just for walking around with it in Thailand. And I hardly used the darn phone.
    Last edited by RC_OZ; 2008-08-29 at 09:04 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RC_OZ For This Useful Post:

citenx (2008-08-30)