Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking USA bought iPhone in Australia

Default Unlocking USA bought iPhone in Australia
    Can anyone please tell me:
    - if i buy an unlocked 3G iPhone on eBay from the USA can i unlock and activate on Australian Network such as Telstra or Optus.

They are cheaper from the US and can save some $$$.

Cheers all,

how are you gonna buy an unlocked iphone 3g in USA. they are all locked to att. Its better off buying it in hk or italy

On eBay, sellers are stating that they have an unlocked 3G iPhone (it may not be true but there's heaps on US ebay site).

Also looking at buying second hand iPhone that is on ATT but not sure if i bring it back to Australia if i can unlock for Aussie network.

Don't be fooled. The only way you can unlock at the moment is with a turbo sim adapter.

dont be fooled
    YOU CAN BUY LEGIT UNLOCKED PHONES IN AUSTRALIA
    i have one
    the telcos here unlock the phone for a price
    i repeat again YOU CAN GET UNLOCKED IPHONE 3G'S IN AUSTRALIA
    so if you purchase one from a ebay seller in aus it will work with any network in any country
    and this is all done legit
    you can restore your phone you can upgrade downgrade and the phone will remain unlocked

sorry i didnt really read your question
    if you import a us iphone 3g you CANT get the phone unlocked in Australia
    you can only unlock phones bought from the carrier doing the unlocking
    the only way a us iphone 3g will work in aus is with a turbosim or some thing simular
    if i was you i would just pay the little extra and get a australian one and get it unlocked legit
    never have to worry about unlocking it again you can update your phone as soon as updates come out
    u dont have to sit around waitin for the dev team to work there magic
    cheers
    Last edited by FramedTrash; 2008-08-29 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost