Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: i phone 3g + universal sim question

Default i phone 3g + universal sim question
    Hello.

I have iphone 3g and its locked. I dont want to wait any more for software because I dont thing its gonna show up so i decided to buy univesal sim. I read few good post about that sim.

And the question is when I will put my sim card with universal sim will I have to still jailbroke my phone.

I asking because nowdays I cannot put eny staff on my phone like music, videos, ringtones or anything.

Will universal sim slove that problem?

I don't even know how to start answering this one.
    No, the SIM won't unlock your phone.
    Jailbreaking is different than unlocking. Good luck.
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Universal sim seems like the only one working, make sure you dont get it from ebay

Why not? I just bought it from ebay

if u did, make sure to contact the seller to update the universal sim to version 5.4. Or else it won't work!

keep us all posted.. Im going to wait about 2 or 3 weeks and see if istorm still reports good things before I buy... since most reports on these sim solutions seem to last anywhere from a few minutes to about a week or 2 before they begin to lose signal. Good luck!

good thing about the universal sim is that you can update it to the newer version when it comes out, that way, it will continuously working but you have to spend extra $30-$40 bucks to get the smart card reader to update it!

But why do we need to update it. I am also in the same boat. I am very new to iPhone and I dont know what to do next. I googled abit .. but there is way to much information and all contradicting.

Some say yes you can unlock iPhone 3G (2.0.1 formware) and some say no you cannot and will brick your phone. I am with AT&T .. so my phone is working , I use WiFi at home to connect to internet and use safari, yahoo mails, weather and stocks. But the problem is I dont have any application which says installer or similar like unlocked ppl have. I cannot install anything.

I was trying to see what to do . Do I need to jailbreak/unlock or buy Turbo SIM/Unversal SIM .. I am so confused. .... someone please help

Quote Originally Posted by panthar420 View Post
    But why do we need to update it. I am also in the same boat. I am very new to iPhone and I dont know what to do next. I googled abit .. but there is way to much information and all contradicting.

Some say yes you can unlock iPhone 3G (2.0.1 formware) and some say no you cannot and will brick your phone. I am with AT&T .. so my phone is working , I use WiFi at home to connect to internet and use safari, yahoo mails, weather and stocks. But the problem is I dont have any application which says installer or similar like unlocked ppl have. I cannot install anything.

I was trying to see what to do . Do I need to jailbreak/unlock or buy Turbo SIM/Unversal SIM .. I am so confused. .... someone please help

Okay, let me help you. 1) YOU CANNOT UNLOCK AN iPHONE 3G, no matter what firmware it is on. Period. End of story. The End.

You're with AT&T, so you don't NEED to unlock your iPhone. You are on an official carrier.

Unlock means to release the phones so that they can be used with non-official carriers (in the US, think T-mobile and such)

"Jailbreak" means to open up access to the iPhone for third party apps and give you root level access to the system.

Just go to Main Page - WinPwn. Download WinPwn 2.5. Run it. Enjoy your new jailbroken iPhone. It doesn't get any better.

PS: Read up on installing your apps from appstore and Cydia. One at a time and sync. One at a time and sync. repeat. And be very patient with the respring time. It's a lot slower.

Peace
    OneRing2Rule
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!