Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: reason to upgrade? (1.1.1)

Default reason to upgrade? (1.1.1)
    I've been on 1.1.1 hacked since this place used to be modmyi...

Is there any reason to upgrade? I really like how I have everything setup right now, just wondering if I am missing any features. I'm on installer v3, I saw on the homepage here that there is a installer v4. This would explain why I have not seen any installer updates in a while.

Are most of you on 2.0+?

It's upto you really, you must be on 1.1.1 still for a reason, if you upgrade firmware you will need to do some work to get everything how you have it at the moment (if you go to 1.1.4) and if you go for 2.0 up then you will loose alot of the third party apps, although many are catching up and on 2.0 and app store has thousands of apps to choose from. You will gain system performance by going up and more funcationality, but unless you take care you could loose alot of your data so there are pros and cons.

I have 1.1.4 on my main 16gb iphone, and I won't upgrade that until MMS is available on 2.0 firmware. My backup 8gb I have just upgraded to 2.0.2 jailbroken qwikpwn and I have to admit I really like the appstore apps and Winterboard for themes, my favourite at present is Apple backgrounds which changes the wallpaper every 5 minutes - nice.

On the whole I like 2.0 firmware, and I think it brings alot to the device. But you need to decide if you can handle upgrading and get your system as you like it as far as customization etc - read alot of the firmware threads on this forum to help you decide, there are pitfalls so be wary before diving in!
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robcoffee For This Useful Post:

MSFIT (2008-08-22)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i got really bored with my 1.1.2 after i felt like i lost support. no more apps were coming out. no new tweeks, no more themes. no NOTHING. i felt forgotten. check installer regularly and nothing was in recent packages. it was a shame. after updating i feel like i felt when i first bought it again lol.

totally worth the upgrade. there is nothing on previous firmwares that makes it any better then the new ones. 2.0+ is where its at and soon will be mandatory to get anytyhing new
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smirkis For This Useful Post:

MSFIT (2008-08-22)

=/

well I did finally and I'm somewhat disappointed so far... I'm on 2.0 pwn'd

There are no themesets for customize.
    Winterboard sucks compared to Summerboard, I can't even dim my wallpaper with it..
    There are no soundsets for customize.
    I do like having a lot of options I was missing with 1.1.1, multiple recipient text, locater(though navizon worked fine).
    I can't delete icon's like calculator and stuff?
    Theme does not carry over into the folders with categories.

Does anyone have a list of repositories/sources that I can add? I had many on 1.1.1

Also I made a complete backup of my 1.1.1, how hard would it be to go back from 2.0 down to 1.1.1? I would have to first go to 1.1.4 and then 1.1.1 I assume.
    Last edited by MSFIT; 2008-09-10 at 10:39 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Give 2.0 a chance, its actually pretty cool. Do you have Cydia installed? If so then do to the "search" function and look for dim wallpaper, it's there. Winterboard is actually much more powerful than summerboard, it just takes some time to get used to. Any themes you download in Cydia show up in WB, and you can just click to select/deselect them. I don't use customize anymore because winterboard does everything I need it to (including 5 icon docks), so I can't comment on the quality of customize on 2.0. Besides cydia there's also the app store...between the two you should find that the 2.0 firmware is definitely worth keeping.

Thanks

I'd go to 2.0 i love it.

Can you hide icons on the 2.0? I'm looking to upgrade as well from 1.1.1 and mainly looking to do so for the outlook email but i don't want to lose all my apps either.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I had 2.0.2 for a few days. I liked getting apps from the appstore...Winterboard was kinda cool once you get used to it. I ended up downgrading back to 1.1.4 though because of the laggyness of the keyboard while texting or emailing. If that ever gets fixed, I will definitely upgrade again.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

So I down'd back to 1.1.4. I'm still not happy cuz with categories on 1.1.1, when you went into the folder, the theme was still present. On 1.1.4 it shows original icons.

Does anyone know if I can still go back to 1.1.1? I've been working on it this morning for a while but I can't get the 4.01.13_G baseband back on..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSFIT View Post
    =/

well I did finally and I'm somewhat disappointed so far... I'm on 2.0 pwn'd

There are no themesets for customize.
    Winterboard sucks compared to Summerboard, I can't even dim my wallpaper with it..
    There are no soundsets for customize.
    I do like having a lot of options I was missing with 1.1.1, multiple recipient text, locater(though navizon worked fine).
    I can't delete icon's like calculator and stuff?
    Theme does not carry over into the folders with categories.

Does anyone have a list of repositories/sources that I can add? I had many on 1.1.1

Also I made a complete backup of my 1.1.1, how hard would it be to go back from 2.0 down to 1.1.1? I would have to first go to 1.1.4 and then 1.1.1 I assume.
    You need to stop relying on other programs to do the work for you. Everything you have put down 2.0 for can be done by yourself manually through SSH and file modding. It's not a valid reason to stay on a old firmware.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You need to stop relying on other programs to do the work for you. Everything you have put down 2.0 for can be done by yourself manually through SSH and file modding. It's not a valid reason to stay on a old firmware.

Srsly?

Yes I'd like to have this 2008 chevy aveo with manual windows, manual seats instead of my 95 m3 with electric windows, power/heated seats..

It's a prefectly valid reason. That's why the apps were created in the first place. So not everyone has to SSH into their phone to change something.

I've already made my decision anyway, so I'd just like some help right now getting my baseband back to 04.01.13_G. It doesn't work the same as downgrading from 2.0 to 1.1.4. Erasing the baseband and then trying to restore it with the IPSW doesn't work, throws error 1011.

Thanks

Lol, nice analogy if somewhat totally inaccurate. I'd rather have the 2008 m3 with everything manual, than a '95 m3 with everything automatic.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Regardless, why would I want to have to SSH into my phone to change the unlock sound. After of course finding it on my computer, d/l, edit it correctly. When on 1.1.1 it's in the video game sound set for customize.

Oh and I got it back to 1.1.1 w/ 04.01.13_g baseband I was able to reflash the baseband on with iliberty.

Also I'd still rather have my e36 over the e92(2008 m3 is a pig =/)
    Last edited by MSFIT; 2008-09-12 at 10:06 PM.