Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie...need help think i might have bought a stolen phone

Default Newbie...need help think i might have bought a stolen phone
    I bought an iphone on Ebay and the only thing I can get it to do is go into emergency mode.

I tried holding the Home Screen and power button down but all i get is the itunes cd and the cable screen to come up

I cant get it to connect to my itunes or register as a iphone on my computer

how do i get this thing restored so i can unlock it ?

It should connect...unless you bought a BROKEN Iphone.

Try putting it in "DFU" mode, search if you dont know how, and then connect it to Itunes. If it still doesnt read, its probably broken, you can take it to Apple but good luck, if someone sold it broke - its probably cause Apple wouldnt fix it.

Stolen or not...it should still connect to Itunes.

You will need to put your phone into DFU mode as follows:
    1. Connect to your computer, hold the power and home buttons down for 10 seconds
    2. As soon as the iPhone powers off, (black screen) release the power button (but keep holding the home button down). (If you see the apple logo or connect to itunes logo you are not in DFU mode so try it again)
    3. After about 20 seconds or less, Itunes should see your iphone. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPhone is in DFU mode.

Now iTunes should ask you to restore the firmware.

Hmm Ive tried it still doesnt work...maybe Im doing it wrong...thanks for the help !

ok so i figured out how to get it into DFU mode...but here is my next problem... My Pc isnt registering it as an Iphone... Right now it says USB DFU Device....and its searching for new hardware found ?

My guess this isnt normal....any suggestions
    Last edited by justing123; 2008-08-12 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost