Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some questions regarding unlocking ...

Default Some questions regarding unlocking ...
    hi there,
    so first my back story: I own an ipod touch right now but I'm currently thinking about returning it and buying an iphone because I need a new phone anyway and this way I would get all in one device.
    Problem is that the contract you get with the iphone here (germany) is really a bad joke, so I want an unlocked phone. they sell those here actually, but it's about $1300 or something, so way to expensive.

I saw now that they sell unlocked iphones on ebay for about $600 or something which would be ok for me, since the ipod touch is about $450 here so it's not that much more. anyways, I have a few questions regarding this:

1) If I buy an already unlocked iPhone running 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 will it be jailbroken? I guess so because I think you need it to be jailbroken to unlock it, right? If it is not jailbroken, can I jailbreak it (which, as far as I know, would require to downgrade to 1.1.1) without loosing the unlocking?

2) can the iPhone be restored through iTunes? because I read often that jailbreaking the iphone is more dangerous than jailbreaking the ipod since you can brick the iphone. but this would imply that you cannot restore an iphone. is this true?

3) what exactly is the baseband? I looked it up on wikipedia and it said it's the frequenz on which the phone signals are transmitted or something. I read that if you upgrade an unlocked 1.1.2 iphone to 1.1.3 it does not upgrade its baseband. does that have any disadvantages for me?

4) as far as I understood, EDGE is provided by my carrier. correct (actually I never heard of EDGE before I read about the iphone, so I really don't know much about it)

I think that's about it. would be really nice if you could give me some short information about all this, since I don't want to spend 600-700 dollars and then discovering the iphone doesn't work as I want. I'm not really comfortable with all the unlocking stuff, but since every other way is just too expensive there seems no way around it :-(

regards

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    1) If I buy an already unlocked iPhone running 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 will it be jailbroken? I guess so because I think you need it to be jailbroken to unlock it, right? If it is not jailbroken, can I jailbreak it (which, as far as I know, would require to downgrade to 1.1.1) without loosing the unlocking?
    It will be jailbroken. Of course email the seller before purchase just to make sure.

2) can the iPhone be restored through iTunes? because I read often that jailbreaking the iphone is more dangerous than jailbreaking the ipod since you can brick the iphone. but this would imply that you cannot restore an iphone. is this true?
    You can restore it. Of course, then you'd have to rejailbreak and unlock.

3) what exactly is the baseband? I looked it up on wikipedia and it said it's the frequenz on which the phone signals are transmitted or something. I read that if you upgrade an unlocked 1.1.2 iphone to 1.1.3 it does not upgrade its baseband. does that have any disadvantages for me?
    Baseband is the phone portion of the iPhone. When you upgrade, and it doesn't change the baseband, that's good. To you, it means you can keep your unlock.

4) as far as I understood, EDGE is provided by my carrier. correct (actually I never heard of EDGE before I read about the iphone, so I really don't know much about it)
    EDGE is something your carrier would provide, yes. They may or may not have it, and you'll generally have to pay for it. Call them and ask.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

BlackWolf (2008-01-31)

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    It will be jailbroken. Of course email the seller before purchase just to make sure.

You can restore it. Of course, then you'd have to rejailbreak and unlock.

Baseband is the phone portion of the iPhone. When you upgrade, and it doesn't change the baseband, that's good. To you, it means you can keep your unlock.

EDGE is something your carrier would provide, yes. They may or may not have it, and you'll generally have to pay for it. Call them and ask.
    thanks very much, that helped me alot.
    one last question: if it is possible to restore the iphone, then how can it be bricked when you jailbreak since that is impossible with an ipod touch?

thanks, that helped me a lot :-)