Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get iphone 2g to work without turbosim - no sim inserted message

Exclamation Can't get iphone 2g to work without turbosim - no sim inserted message
    I'm posting here as I feel I have tried everything on the internet but have still failed completely to solve my problem.

I bought my iphone from a company in France who sold American models with a turbosim clone. It's a week 49 phone so presumably came with 1.1.2 and bootloader 4.6. The phone was already activated and "unlocked" when I received it. It works fine now and I can update the phone to new firmwares without difficulty. The problem is I don't want to have to rely on the turbosim as it makes it difficult to use different SIM cards and I'm afraid that if it were to get damaged or stop working I'd be left with a useless paperweight. It shouldn't be necessary to continue to use the Turbosim but when I insert a SIM without it I get the message "No Sim card inserted".

I have tried everything imaginable, have restored the phone to 1.1.1/2/3/4 and 2.01/2.02, have tried bootloader 3.9 and 4.6. I have used iliberty/winpwn and Ziphone. I have "virginized" the phone using a commond line script. In short I have searched all over the internet but can't find anyone else who has this problem.

I'm pretty sure it's not a physical problem and I've tried a number of different sim cards with the same result. The only time I didn't get the "no sim card" message was when I erased the baseband but then of course I couldn't use the phone anyway.

I'm pretty certain that the company I bought it off screwed it up when setting up the turbosim type device but what they did and how to reverse it I have no idea.

If anyone can help me I'll be eternally grateful!!

ok first thing is remove that turbo sim!your on 2g just software unlock bro

maybe you have to check the sim contacts of your phone ... They can be damaged after long term use of turbo sim as it is very thick!

Quote Originally Posted by rud3bwoy View Post
    ok first thing is remove that turbo sim!your on 2g just software unlock bro
    Thanks for your suggestion but I've tried that so many times and nothing works. I don't understand why as software unlocking should remove the need for the Turbosim.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
    maybe you have to check the sim contacts of your phone ... They can be damaged after long term use of turbo sim as it is very thick!
    I thought about that and I think there's a strong chance that it could be something like that but I don't know how I could check the sim connections as they are hidden in the casing of the phone. Any suggestions?

The "turbosim" I'm using is actually very thin - I think it's some kind of Chinese clone and not the original. I have tried putting something under the sim so that the connections would be pushed forward but it didn't make a difference. I have also tried a number of sims in the phone.
    Last edited by endaoneill; 2008-08-27 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost