Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlocking 113

Default unlocking 113
    Can I unlock the phone without signing up for a plan? I can't tell if there's a way to use the phone as a PDA/camera/web pad without getting a AT&T account. (obviously I will not be able to use EDGE, so I'll have to jailbreak it, install Erica's Edge switch, but, still, can I do this? If so, I'll buy a phone today!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by videoalex View Post
    Can I unlock the phone without signing up for a plan? I can't tell if there's a way to use the phone as a PDA/camera/web pad without getting a AT&T account. (obviously I will not be able to use EDGE, so I'll have to jailbreak it, install Erica's Edge switch, but, still, can I do this? If so, I'll buy a phone today!)
    1.1.3 cannot be unlocked at the moment. However, it can be jailbroken by downgrading it first, allowing you to use camera, apps, wi-fi, etc. You may be able to use a 1.1.3 phone with a TurboSIM, NextSIM, etc but research first if that's your plan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:

videoalex (2008-01-29)

So, if I buy the phone, and jailbreak it, then I won't have just a "connect to iTunes" screen on the phone all the time? Can I jailbreak it without activating it?

You can have an unlocked, activated & jailbroken iPhone...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27648

Mine works fine, act, jb & ul, 1.1.3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tatev View Post
    You can have an unlocked, activated & jailbroken iPhone...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27648

Mine works fine, act, jb & ul, 1.1.3.
    If you buy a new phone with 1.1.3 installed, this method will not unlock your phone. If you have a previously unlocked phone, then this method will upgrade your phone to 1.1.3 and leave it unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by videoalex View Post
    So, if I buy the phone, and jailbreak it, then I won't have just a "connect to iTunes" screen on the phone all the time? Can I jailbreak it without activating it?
    Yes, the jailbreak process 'hacktivates' the phone for you
    Last edited by Wayno; 2008-01-30 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost