Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked freedom?

Question Unlocked freedom?
    I would like to preface this by saying that I have used search, but I got such a variety of answers that I do not trust them.

My friend is going to be upgrading to the iphone 3g today, and I can buy his older iphone cheap. I am 20 and part of a At&T family plan that I do not pay for or control/modify. I as far as I understand it I can take this iphone unlock it and use it as a regular voice and text phone. I would need to go to the At&T store and have them block data and MMS to the line, but I could unlock the phone and then just use my normal sim card. I have also heard that even if I unlock it, since I have AT&T I will have issues, so I may need to disable EDGE? All in all I am very confused as to whether I can use this iphone with no exta charges. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Thanks

you can just jailbreak the iphone and download boss prefs and that lets you disable edge.
    I would actually recommend unlocking and switching to tmobile. there is t-zones for 6$ and there is also a patch which lets you use it on the iphone as unlimited data. i did that.

So if I get it today, take the sim card out, and use winpwn to unlock and jailbreak it at the same time, then I should be able to turn off edge and have my normal voice and text family plan still working. Will At&T be able to tell that I am on an Iphone and charge me somehow? Also will I be able to use the apps of the itunes store in addition to the 3rd party ones?

Thanks

After jailbreaking download, through the installer, boss preffs and you can turn EDGE off. you will still be able to use App store apps. ATT won't know what phone you have.

Thanks

you don't want to upgrade to 2.0 other wise you may not be able to use boss preffs or other installer apps. if you already upgraded there are ways to downgrade srry about saying you can use app store apps