Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New OTB 1.1.2 iPhone questions (UK O2)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default New OTB 1.1.2 iPhone questions (UK O2)
    Apologies for multiple posting, but I'd received remarks that I'd posted into the wrong thread, so thought a new thread would be best, and should also help anyone else in the same situation.

I've recently purchased an iphone from the O2 store which was firmware version 1.1.2.

I didn't want to use/activate onto an 18 month iPhone tariff at 35 a month, when an O2 Simplicity tariff (Anytime 15) at 15 a month + Unlimited Data bolt-on at 7.50 a month offered the same deal (except the free Wifi Cloud access).

To do this, I had to unlock the phone to use any O2 SIM, which is the only unlock method available on 1.1.2 OTB at present.
    I paid 40 for the method from http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com
    (Ok, naive I know, but I paid, and they're responsible for the accuracy of the instructions they've provided, and any future updates, so I guess I've got piece of mind too)

This involved downgrading to 1.1.1, running iBrickr, activating/jailbreaking 1.1.1, upgrading to 1.1.2 then jailbreaking 1.1.2.

This works fine and I've been using my O2 SIM fine, with EDGE etc.

I have two questions:-

1. This is not technically unlocked as I understand it, as I haven't changed the bootloader at all.

Can I safely restore my phone using iTunes back to 1.1.2 provided I have the file?

or

Do I need to virginize and if so how do I do that ?

All links found apply only to 1.1.1 and earlier, and not OTB 1.1.2.

2. I realise updating to 1.1.3 would now remove all my 3rd party software, would it also lock me out of my current O2 (non-iPhone tariff) SIM?

3. If I update to 1.1.3 using iTunes, being as I'm actually using an O2 SIM, would it just return me to the activation screen to setup a new official O2 iPhone tariff?

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I don't want to brick the phone

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget171175 View Post
    Apologies for multiple posting, but I'd received remarks that I'd posted into the wrong thread, so thought a new thread would be best, and should also help anyone else in the same situation.

I've recently purchased an iphone from the O2 store which was firmware version 1.1.2.

I didn't want to use/activate onto an 18 month iPhone tariff at 35 a month, when an O2 Simplicity tariff (Anytime 15) at 15 a month + Unlimited Data bolt-on at 7.50 a month offered the same deal (except the free Wifi Cloud access).

To do this, I had to unlock the phone to use any O2 SIM, which is the only unlock method available on 1.1.2 OTB at present.
    I paid 40 for the method from http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com
    (Ok, naive I know, but I paid, and they're responsible for the accuracy of the instructions they've provided, and any future updates, so I guess I've got piece of mind too)

This involved downgrading to 1.1.1, running iBrickr, activating/jailbreaking 1.1.1, upgrading to 1.1.2 then jailbreaking 1.1.2.

This works fine and I've been using my O2 SIM fine, with EDGE etc.

I have two questions:-

1. This is not technically unlocked as I understand it, as I haven't changed the bootloader at all.

You dont need to unlock 1.1.2 to use an O2 SIM, all you need to do it bypass activation, if you want to use 3rd party apps you also need to jailbreak

Can I safely restore my phone using iTunes back to 1.1.2 provided I have the file?

You can get a fresh 1.1.2 install but read up on Activating 1.1.2 and decide if you want to go through this

or

Do I need to virginize and if so how do I do that ?

All links found apply only to 1.1.1 and earlier, and not OTB 1.1.2.

2. I realise updating to 1.1.3 would now remove all my 3rd party software, would it also lock me out of my current O2 (non-iPhone tariff) SIM?

There is no bypass for activation on 1.1.3 yet DO NOT DO IT

3. If I update to 1.1.3 using iTunes, being as I'm actually using an O2 SIM, would it just return me to the activation screen to setup a new official O2 iPhone tariff?

YES, and there is no bypass for activation so your only route forward would be to take out an offical iphone tariff

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I don't want to brick the phone

Thanks in advance

There is some talk that 1.1.3 can be downgraded but I would not even try that just yet
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt and informative replies.

As I understand it, 1.1.3 does more checking of your SIM's status than 1.1.2 did. With 1.1.2, I could get away with using a non-iPhone O2 contract SIM on the locked iPhone - all I had to do was activate and jailbreak in the normal way and I was away.

From what I've read, even if someone comes up with a jailbreak / activate for 1.1.3, it will only work with an official iPhone contract O2 SIM, and no longer with our non-iPhone contract O2 SIM.

Bummer. Guess the only solution for 1.1.3 (other than official iPhone-contract SIMS) will be an unlock!