Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New OTB 1.1.2 iPhone questions (UK O2)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default New OTB 1.1.2 iPhone questions (UK O2)
    Apologies for multiple posting, but I'd received remarks that I'd posted into the wrong thread, so thought a new thread would be best, and should also help anyone else in the same situation.

I've recently purchased an iphone from the O2 store which was firmware version 1.1.2.

I didn't want to use/activate onto an 18 month iPhone tariff at 35 a month, when an O2 Simplicity tariff (Anytime 15) at 15 a month + Unlimited Data bolt-on at 7.50 a month offered the same deal (except the free Wifi Cloud access).

To do this, I had to unlock the phone to use any O2 SIM, which is the only unlock method available on 1.1.2 OTB at present.
    I paid 40 for the method from http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com
    (Ok, naive I know, but I paid, and they're responsible for the accuracy of the instructions they've provided, and any future updates, so I guess I've got piece of mind too)

This involved downgrading to 1.1.1, running iBrickr, activating/jailbreaking 1.1.1, upgrading to 1.1.2 then jailbreaking 1.1.2.

This works fine and I've been using my O2 SIM fine, with EDGE etc.

I have two questions:-

1. This is not technically unlocked as I understand it, as I haven't changed the bootloader at all.

Can I safely restore my phone using iTunes back to 1.1.2 provided I have the file?

or

Do I need to virginize and if so how do I do that ?

All links found apply only to 1.1.1 and earlier, and not OTB 1.1.2.

2. I realise updating to 1.1.3 would now remove all my 3rd party software, would it also lock me out of my current O2 (non-iPhone tariff) SIM?

3. If I update to 1.1.3 using iTunes, being as I'm actually using an O2 SIM, would it just return me to the activation screen to setup a new official O2 iPhone tariff?

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I don't want to brick the phone

Thanks in advance

Hello InspectorGaget,

I think I've just replied to one of your posts elsewhere on this board... ;-)

Basically, I'm in the same position. But I'm pretty sure I didn't have to software unlock my iPhone under 1.1.2 to get my O2 UK contract to work. So, if you can get your baseband modem firmware back to 04.02.13_G (this has reportedly just been made possible providing you have bootloader 3.9), you should be able to just use your O2 SIM without unlocking.

Could someone more clever please confirm this?

Thanks

You can restore to 1.1.2. But to continue using your non-iphone sim you need to downgrade to 1.1.1, perform the jailbreak etc, then upgrade again to 1.1.2. You could try restoring just to 1.1.2, this may work, i'm not entirely sure

You can't use your o2 sim on 1.1.3 until a jailbreak for 1.1.3 has been released. You can of course upgrade to 1.1.3 and use the iphone tariff, with no 3rd party apps
    Last edited by redcard; 2008-01-18 at 04:29 PM.
    To live, you have to lie