Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g iPhone - Handset Activation Worldwide

Default 3g iPhone - Handset Activation Worldwide
    Is possible to activate a US/ATT 3g iPhone with another authorized provider?

For example, could I buy a 3g iPhone in the USA and activate and use O2 (with a correct o2 sim) in the UK, or Orange in France, or Rogers in Canada?

Is the phone locked to ONLY ATT? I no that an unlock is currently unavailable for the 3G model, but are handsets region specific?

Would activating it w/ pwnage allow me to re-activate and set-up a legal account overseas on any of the legal carriers?

Has anyone have any experience or guesses if it would work.
    Last edited by bjhinton; 2008-07-22 at 12:06 AM.

why don't you just go get it from O2?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyyx View Post
    why don't you just go get it from O2?
    Already have the phone. I would want to activate overseas instead of buying a new one.

quick bump....reward for any poster who has any insight.
    Last edited by bjhinton; 2008-07-22 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would just wait for a couple of weeks until they get the 3G unlocked, then you will be able to use it anywhere with any carrier that you would like. Currently I am on T-Mobile so I have to wait for the same thing.

If you buy it from the US, it's locked to ATT. You can not unlock it with another authorized provider in a different country.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to brent91055 For This Useful Post:

bjhinton (2008-07-23)

What do you guys think about this, it specifically states 3G and apparently it workes but idk what you think? : http://http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Turbo...3286.m14.l1318

Reward messages sent...check you PM box.

What if you just do a restore on your att iphone 3g with the o2 version???

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA46 View Post
    I was thinking about that but wouldn't it be locked to o2? And in a different language?

If it's for a Turbo Sim, X-Sim, HyperSim..etc., etc.,..it doesn't work here in the United States. I have a new 3G iphone and a previous generation 4GB model.

After hearing about this, I tried using a TurboSim and a T-Mobile SIM card. The 3G iphone scrolls "invalid SIM" in the upper right corner where the network icon is suppose to be. The 4GB iphone automatically goes back to the activation screen where can make emergency calls only, and stays that way until you take the TurboSim out of it (pretty weird I thought)

Quote Originally Posted by JK1234 View Post
    I was thinking about that but wouldn't it be locked to o2? And in a different language?
    1) Where could we find these restore files
    2) If we are able to actually load the restore file from an unlocked country, wouldn't English (US) be one of the languages you can adjust within the settings menu?

I want to use my 3g on T-Mobile so badly...

All the firmware files are the same exact version. Your phone just has a slightly different baseband modified to the carrier. if you peek at the phones fso carrier icons you can see it already has support for things like o2 and t-mobile. Its just thats its locked.

Also yes why wouldnt you be able to just change the default language?
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty778 For This Useful Post:

bjhinton (2008-07-24), OMEGA46 (2008-07-24)

so basically we need the baseband from an unlocked iphone....

Someone donate their baseband!!!

OP i want a prize!!! lol jk, would be nice to know what those PMs contained

so basically we need the baseband from an unlocked iphone....

Someone donate their baseband!!!

OP i want a prize!!! lol jk, would be nice to know what those PMs contained
    It doesnt work like that. You cant just replace the baseband. You need to rewrite it,Then their would be no point in relocking it to something like o2. We would just release a full unlock solution.
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty778 For This Useful Post:

bjhinton (2008-07-24)

my question is why arent we able to simply attain the fw and baseband, then flash our phones with it?

Because its not just some file.Your over simplifying it. ALL iPhones(besides 3G) use the EXACT same firmware file. You cant just magically replace the baseband

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty778 For This Useful Post:

bjhinton (2008-07-24)

Default Unlocking iPhone 3G in Australia works like this:
    You call the carrier you are with and file a request for an unlock. Usually costs between AU$80-$150(Optus -$80, Telstra -$150) They get your phone's IMEI# and tell you that it could take up to 10days(usually about 3) then you get an SMS telling you that you can now unlock your iPhone by connecting it to the iTunes. When you do connect it the iTunes, you get a message saying that there is an update available for your iPhone, would you like to download it? you click Yes and download the firmware from apple server. Restore your iPhone and it is unlocked! Now, the firmware is version 2.0 but I suppose there must be some difference from a regular one. Maybe there is an update for baseband in it. I have no idea, but i thought it would be interesting to get hold of that firmware and try to restore iPhones with it to see if it'll unlock any iphone or it is IMEI specific(doubt that). Anybody from Australia got their phones unlocked and have that firmware on their PC/Mac must share it for testing

Quote Originally Posted by auraclear View Post
    You call the carrier you are with and file a request for an unlock. Usually costs between AU$80-$150(Optus -$80, Telstra -$150) They get your phone's IMEI# and tell you that it could take up to 10days(usually about 3) then you get an SMS telling you that you can now unlock your iPhone by connecting it to the iTunes. When you do connect it the iTunes, you get a message saying that there is an update available for your iPhone, would you like to download it? you click Yes and download the firmware from apple server. Restore your iPhone and it is unlocked! Now, the firmware is version 2.0 but I suppose there must be some difference from a regular one. Maybe there is an update for baseband in it. I have no idea, but i thought it would be interesting to get hold of that firmware and try to restore iPhones with it to see if it'll unlock any iphone or it is IMEI specific(doubt that). Anybody from Australia got their phones unlocked and have that firmware on their PC/Mac must share it for testing
    This what I was wondering...

We went over this when the 1st gen iPhones were unlocked with t-mobile. It doesnt update the firmware at all. It just has an apple server send files that tell iTunes to rewrite the baseband. Many thoughts were pt into this put deemed too much trouble for the end users because iTunes would have to be reverse engineered then reset to a spoof server so that your personal phones IMEI could be unlocked. Just wait for the unlock