Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how do i transfer new 3G iphone to another person and keep my 1st gen iphone as-is?

Default how do i transfer new 3G iphone to another person and keep my 1st gen iphone as-is?
    would this work?***
    -purchase and activate a 3G iphone under my name
    -put the 3G's SIM card in my old iphone, change the data plan back to $20/mo
    -give the 3G iphone to my gf, she puts her old ATT SIM in the 3G and activates it via itunes, adding the 3G plan.

***-my gf and i are on an at&t family plan
    -i have an original iphone, she does not
    -i'm eligible for an upgrade ($199 3G iphone), she is not (she upgraded recently to another kind of phone)
    -i want to buy her a 3G iphone using my upgrade discount

thanks in advance...

Thanks

If you both are on the family plan why not just swap sim cards? Maybe that is an over simplification, but it is what I was planning on doing with one of my sons. WHen I get my new 3G I was planning on giving him my 1st gen iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    If you both are on the family plan why not just swap sim cards? Maybe that is an over simplification, but it is what I was planning on doing with one of my sons. WHen I get my new 3G I was planning on giving him my 1st gen iPhone.
    actually, att offers a guide on how to do what you want to.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...r_Contacts.pdf
    i want to do the opposite: buy a 3G, then give IT to my gf, keeping my 1st gen for me.

Thanks

Thanks for that link!

I see what you mean.

any other ideas?

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

I traded my 1st gen with a guy who didnt like his 3G. I popped in my sim card, works like a champ..I am now on 3G status, but still paying with the old plan.

Now, as for the guy, he went back to ATT and switched back to the 20dollars plan...he said that he gave his cousin the phone..and doesnt really catch 3G signal where he is at...and ATT did revert him back onto the 20 dollars plan.

I dont know if that is the process of ATT, or he just got lucky.

Try it...Good Luck to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

dm_hawk (2008-07-26)

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    I traded my 1st gen with a guy who didnt like his 3G. I popped in my sim card, works like a champ..I am now on 3G status, but still paying with the old plan.

Now, as for the guy, he went back to ATT and switched back to the 20dollars plan...he said that he gave his cousin the phone..and doesnt really catch 3G signal where he is at...and ATT did revert him back onto the 20 dollars plan.

I dont know if that is the process of ATT, or he just got lucky.

Try it...Good Luck to you.
    thanks! that sounds promising - a few questions:

-was the 3G originally activated under the guy's name?
    -did you have to re-activate it?
    -would you have the option of adding a 3G data plan if you wanted (i'm assuming that you're currently running on EDGE)?