Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G unlocking theory..

Default iPhone 3G unlocking theory..
    hey guys i have two questions

1) if i downgrade my iPhone 3G to 1.1.4 and use Ziphone to unlock it will that work?
    2) since on ebay contains lots of italian iphones because they sell them pre-unlocked then can't you just flash their firmware and just change the language or is it more complicated than that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The 3G phone has a new bootloader so you can't downgrade using regular methods.

Thanks

Not only that, but 1.1.4 does not contain the necessary code to support 3G, so even if you could get it to work it would defeat the purpose of a 3G iPhone.
    Apples taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The 3G phone has a new bootloader so you can't downgrade using regular methods.
    ohh thanks for the quick answer

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    Not only that, but 1.1.4 does not contain the necessary code to support 3G, so even if you could get it to work it would defeat the purpose of a 3G iPhone.
    well tmobile doesn't support 3G, but i forgot that not having GPS.

what about flashing Italian firmware is that possible?

Why not get hold of Italian Firmware and restore with that. You probably have to re-activate. I got a non activated phone in the US for the same price as you will get it when they sell them with no contract. I activated that phone with swapping with the ATT Sim to my Telcel Sim from Mexico. Everything works except the Phone, and that is because I do not have a Telcel 3G card, or a 64K sim card right now. I will get it when I go back to Mexico, and probably the phone will start working as normal.
    BUT you still have to have a Sim card form one of the supported countries i.e. Vodafone, Orange etc
    Last edited by sailingaction; 2008-07-13 at 07:32 AM.
    If you want it, get it, no matter the risk, y only live once, and gadgets are replaceable.....
    iMac 2.8GHz i7 12GB Ram, MacBook Pro 13", MacBook Air, Cinema Display 30" iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, ATV2

Some one already tried and corrupted the iphone 3g. It no longer works. He now has a new door mat.

Can you be specific how he did it and got a door mat.
    If you want it, get it, no matter the risk, y only live once, and gadgets are replaceable.....
    iMac 2.8GHz i7 12GB Ram, MacBook Pro 13", MacBook Air, Cinema Display 30" iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, ATV2

if It did currupt I am sure apple would replace it because I don't think they would have any way of knowing. And plus why would it be currupt the hardware is exactly the same. I guess that's how everyone on eBay is selling their iphone unlocked.

Because iTunes isnt stupid. People thought we could also get iTunes from germany to unlock our phones if we used a German firmware. The way it works is that iTunes compares your IMEI to a list on a server and if it matches the phone is unlocked. If not your left with an iBrick but I hear a DFU restore can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    Because iTunes isnt stupid. People thought we could also get iTunes from germany to unlock our phones if we used a German firmware. The way it works is that iTunes compares your IMEI to a list on a server and if it matches the phone is unlocked. If not your left with an iBrick but I hear a DFU restore can fix it.

damn, well thats what i get for trying to outwit apple.

so i guess go dev team!