Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Needing to unlock previously activated and jailbroken iPhone

Default Fixing unlocked iPhone activation?
    Okay, first post here...wasn't sure if this should go here or in the T-Mobile section (since I'm moving this phone over to T-Mobile).

I have a slight predicament and I've searched for answers on this and nothing has helped. I'm considering buying an original iPhone from my friend later this week...and I seem to have run into a snag.

His iPhone has already been activated and in use with AT&T for a while now (plus he's already jailbroken it), and I was wanting to unlock it to run on T-Mobile's network since

A) I don't want to break my current contract
    and B) When I asked am AT&T rep about switching to them, he quoted me an exorbitant security deposit that I refuse to pay.

So exactly what is it that I need to do to get the iPhone unlocked and working on the T-Mobile network? I looked for stuff on anySIM, but it says if the phone's been previously activated it won't work. That's where I run into my problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by colorofsakura; 2008-07-12 at 07:06 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I just did this exact same thing, I have a AT&T phone jailbroken and wanted to unlock it as I plan to get the 3G phone, and want to be able to use this one with either other sims or even the new sim from the 3G if I wanted.

I installed bootneuter from installer and it unlocked the phone with a couple of springboard swipes. Read the documentation regarding the app as it can mess you up if you do it wrong, but its very straight forward and worked perfect and left my phone as it is jailbroken with all the apps installed. I popped in my friends t-mobile sim and it came right up and I make a call from his sim to test it.

Thanks a lot, I'll try that when I get the phone on Friday. If I somehow screw it up, does ZiPhone still work in unbricking? I know it did when I bricked my iTouch.

EDIT: Also, when using BootNeuter, is there any other apps or anything from the Installer that I need to download and install to my iPhone before running it? I want to make sure I can get it working properly the first time.
    Last edited by colorofsakura; 2008-07-09 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks

Ziphone would probably unbrick it, but I don't think you'll have any issues.

Bootneuter did not seem to have any prerequisites, or if it did I had them already as I just installed it and in it went.

What you want to do before you run it is make sure your auto lock is set to NEVER. You don't want the phone locking when its doing its thing. The run Bootneuter and it will detect your current boot loader and status. I'd leave the BL alone and leave it at either 3.9 or 4.6, just ignore that switch and leave it where it is.

So your just your going to slide the option that says netuer to ON, and the option that says unlock to ON, and then tap the Flash button on the top, and just wait. Can take 5 minutes or a little more/less, so again, make sure the screen doesn't lock by tapping it every 30 seconds or so if you forgot to set the auto lock to never.

Also when I did mine I put the phone into airplane mode to make sure no calls or anything came in, don't think thats needed, but I rather error on the side of caution when messing with these things.
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 2008-07-09 at 06:41 PM. Reason: my horrible spelling :)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PhoneLine For This Useful Post:

colorofsakura (2008-07-09)

I really appreciate all the help, you have no idea. I've been digging for stuff about unlocking it and everything I found was of no help at all because it all said "We're assuming your phone hasn't been activated yet".

But that's awesome. I'm glad it's gotten easier to unlock them.

Okay, I got the phone unlocked, popped my T-Mobile sim in and the phone says "Different SIM detected - please connect to iTunes". If I ignore that dialogue box and continue anyways, the phone does display the T-Mobile carrier in the top left corner and I am able to make calls, send texts, etc.

However, if I try to connect the phone onto iTunes to transfer media, it refuses to let me by stating "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported".

Is there any way for me to bypass this error message so I can sync my music to my iPhone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If I understood correctly BootNeuter will not downgrade BL 4.6 to 3.9, is that correct?
    If that is correct than if I needed to take it back to the Apple store, will setting bootneuter to off and restoring using iTune will be enough so that the Apple tech guys not know the phone was unlocked?
    Will bootneuter void my warenty?

Quote Originally Posted by colorofsakura View Post
    Okay, I got the phone unlocked, popped my T-Mobile sim in and the phone says "Different SIM detected - please connect to iTunes". If I ignore that dialogue box and continue anyways, the phone does display the T-Mobile carrier in the top left corner and I am able to make calls, send texts, etc.

However, if I try to connect the phone onto iTunes to transfer media, it refuses to let me by stating "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported".

Is there any way for me to bypass this error message so I can sync my music to my iPhone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Still needing help on this, if anyone has an answer. Do I need to erase the whole iPhone and start from scratch with a revirginized phone or is there a work around that I just can't seem to find?

Thanks

Hmm, I don't get that message if I swap sims. I get no sim detected when I remove one and then once I put the other in it just switches to that carrier with no problem. What BL do you have anyway?

As far as bootneuter not downgrading I am not sure, as I have and left mine at 3.9. I know ziphone was downgrading people from 4.6 to 3.9, so people were using bootneuter to be able to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    Hmm, I don't get that message if I swap sims. I get no sim detected when I remove one and then once I put the other in it just switches to that carrier with no problem. What BL do you have anyway?

As far as bootneuter not downgrading I am not sure, as I have and left mine at 3.9. I know ziphone was downgrading people from 4.6 to 3.9, so people were using bootneuter to be able to go back.
    I set the BL to 4.6 on BootNeuter, so that's what it's running. Like, I can still sync stuff apparently, it just won't bring anything up on iTunes to show it. However, when I try syncing custom ringtones, they'll copy over and show up on my phone. And when I set them they'll play the clip I used (I have them all at about 30 seconds), but when someone calls the ringtone will just play Marimba. I don't get it. It's weird.
    Last edited by colorofsakura; 2008-07-12 at 09:44 PM.

I tried the bootneuter and it keeps saying it can't flash, error 5! Does anyone know what this means??? My carrier doesn't show up on my 1.1.4 unlocked and jailbroken phone. HElp!!!!!