Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T (locked and unlocked) vs TMobile (unlocked)

Default AT&T (locked and unlocked) vs TMobile (unlocked)
    As I said in my first post, I am a dad with a daughters iPhone wrapped under the tree. So I don't have any serial numbers or anything else on the box, and haven't opened the box yet so no idea versions.

With AT&T and TMobile, I have the option of rate plan and data discounts, but of course not with the iPhone on AT&T. Seperate from the rate plans discounts, has anyone done a comparison chart of features or pricing between the three options

A AT&T locked box - the average jane or joe, standard official approach
    B AT&T unlocked - does this fool AT&T or the iPhone so I can activate the phone with a service and data discounts?
    C TMobile unlocked - let me get the discounts on airtime and data

I have not activated the phone on AT&T, and one of the reasons for my questions now - since I don't want to find out I could get this baby on TMobile and a discount each month and not have to activate it with AT&T

She gets the phone as a gift, and if I can use the information here, play around and get it on a discounted rate plan I would get a gift of some programming fun and the gift of savings every month for the next 24 months - not a bad deal for me

If it's firmware 1.1.2 out of the box, then you'll be stuck with ATT unless an unlock pops up, or unless you want to pony up more $$ for a stealth sim or something similar.
    Search NAZI

I've read the stickied thread about 1.1.2

But assuming my box is 1.1.1 or a 1.1.2 comes out, has anyone done a comparrison on benefits or features?

Visual voice mail - not a big benefit on my list of benefits for her. Heck, in my family and work life it is rare that VM's last longer then a single listen. I don't think she gets a lot of vm's herself

Default hey
    i would recomend tmble if your looking for cheaper rates in the 24 months long run the iphone runs on there Total Internet package that they can easily send your phone to make it work

T-mobile !
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Am I missing something? This makes the basic AT&T rate with data look like $60 a month compared to $85 each month from TMobile before any discounts

TMobile -
    80.00 myFaves 300 300 Unlimited Unlimited $39.99
    90.00 myFaves 600 600 Unlimited Unlimited $49.99

T-Mobile Total Internet None Unlimited Unlimited $39.99

AT&T

85.00 PDA Personal Max with 1500 Messages $44.99 Unlimited 0.015/KB 0.0195/KB View Details
    90.00 PDA Personal Max with 1500 Messages w/UNLIMITED M2M Messaging $49.99 Unlimited 0.015/KB 0.0195/KB View Details

Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes $39.99
    Rate Plan Details
    Anytime Minutes 450
    Night & Weekend minutes 5000
    Mobile to Mobile minutes Unlimited
    Long Distance $0.00
    Roaming Charges $0.00
    Additional minutes $.45 per minute
    One-time activation fee $36.00
    Contract length 2 years

AT&T iPhone rates
    Monthly Price Minutes Unlimited Data (Email/Web)Visual Voicemail SMS Text Messages*Nights & WeekendsRollover® MinutesUnlimited Mobile to Mobile
    $59.99 450 Check Check 200 5000 Check Check
    $79.99 900 Check Check 200 Unlimited Check Check
    $99.99 1350 Check Check 200 Unlimited Check Check

Default ?
    this confuses me
    TMobile -
    80.00 myFaves 300 300 Unlimited Unlimited $39.99
    90.00 myFaves 600 600 Unlimited Unlimited $49.99

T-Mobile Total Internet None Unlimited Unlimited $39.99

you cant have myfavs b/c the iphone doesnt support it
    however you could get
    49.99 1500 min unlm nght/wknds
    19.99 total int package incl unlm web and email

thats 70.00 a month and you can do a one year contract you dont HAVE to get a two year

just the two rate plans PLUS the data plan

Did not see the 19.99 plan, found it as an add-on to a rate plan in the cart as an accesory. thanks for the info. Without any discounts, if there is one on that rate plan, I won't know till after 5AM in a few hours, that brings it down to $30 less then AT&T's iPhone plan for 1500 minutes. If its light usaage, then $60 AT&T plan is rack rate a better option on the surface...

If you have a Fan account with ATT then just get a family plan. Then make the primary line the non Iphone line and you will still get your Fan Discount.

Also if you have a Fan you might be able to get bonus minutes and/or free SMS out of ATT depending on how long you been with ATT.

I have been with ATT(I was a former ATT Blue Customer) for close to 20 years. I was giving 800 bonus minutes per line + free SMS to migrates over to to a new ATT plan.

Go read Howardforums ATT forum feature thread. It will give you codes for bonus minutes, free early N&W, free SMS etc.

u can put her on a familly plan with u if u have t mobile that will be cheap
    or if uy ganna get a normal plan get tzones 5.99 for data its better than 19 or 30 $ on atT
    lets say if u get att ull buy a normal data plan for 30$ but with tmobie u can get the 5.99
    so thatwill make t mobile alot cheaber

$10 per month savings gets a new phone in 24 months which is way better then the iPhone rate plan and having to buy the phone for cash in 24

It is a very interesting debate. Well since I don't see a 1.1.2 unlock and from everything talking about dates and weeks, I can only assume the present under the tree has to be 1.1.2. I'll have to activate it on AT&T because I know she won't want to keep it in the box and wait till I can hack it and unlock it and all that other fun stuff - thats like giving a kid a puppy...picture and saying its still at the breeder till it wheans off the ***** in 6 weeks.

Speaking off animals and phones and girls at Christmas - I just love the VZW pony commercial

dang - tMobile is closed for the holidays today. So my choices are down to
    A - let her activate it tomorrow via iTunes and take it from Steve
    B - let her activate it tomorrow and hope for a hack within the period to get out of the contract within the 30 day period and bite the activation fee
    C - under 3 days and save the activation fee and send it to the people who release the 1.1.2 hack via PayPal Hey going to spend it anyway, so its a benefit to someone
    C - go buy a TMobile cheapo phone to have a SIM on hand, pray for a christmas miracle involving a virgin and no date on Christmas so they have time to release the fix and have the new SIM handy

Oh well, it's looking darkest before the dawn, time for some Pennsylvania Dutch original egg nog, with its low 75% alcohol by volume Happy Holidays everyone
    Last edited by storpappa; 2007-12-24 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Default T-Mobile
    Dear Storpappa.

Regarding the t-mobile data issue, you can select the t-mobile web for 5.99 a month and have full access to your email account and some slow surfing with the Iphone. There is a previous thread here:

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthre...mobile+service

It discusses how to access the data via the t-mobile web plan when you hacktivate the iphone. You will need a sim card since the unlock has not been released yet, but it will work and save you a ton of money.

Michael
    Iphone 1.2.1 oob-working with Quicksim on
    Ariel, I mean Voicestream, Sorry I mean T-Mobile

Windows Vista Ultimate
    Tampa Bay FL

Do something, anything, better today than yesterday!

Of course t-mobile gives you more but you might have gotten the new 1.1.2 version of the iphone so you can't have it on t-mobile yet. My current T-mobile package is 1500 w. unlimited n/w, unlimited text and total internet package. No point of getting myfaves since the phone doesn't support it. In total my phone bill is $105.99 but i get it all for 25 bucks a month =D

Default hey
    i can answer any quest you have on tmble i kinda take calls for customers all day haha the store should be open at least the corporate ones they just have reduced hours
    Last edited by steinekin; 2007-12-24 at 08:48 PM.

I'll find out what path I get sent down in a few hours, but Happy Holidays to everyone and to yours also.

Driving my wife to last minute WalMart run she wanted to know if it was worth the rest of non warranty support for a $399 phone. I said yeah if it would pay for itself in a year or so. Of course saving $5 a month isn't worth doing anything - which brings me back to the apps issues - if you need an app outside the authorized stuff, then the money savings isn't the issue, and thst different then jumping off at&T to TMobile.

Happy Holidasy everyone

Quote Originally Posted by ojx View Post
    In total my phone bill is $105.99 but i get it all for 25 bucks a month =D
    Bro, I would really love to learn your secret. I have an At&t chip waiting for me to use, but I've been thinking about going to T-Mobile if the plans come out cheaper.

Your method seems to really have caught my eye.

Would love to learn more about how you got it down to being so cheap.

I woudl also - but it sounds like they are justing adding up the cost of a 2nd line on a family plan with TMobile and then adding TZones - and trying to compare that to what an individual pays AT&T for a regular line PLUS Internet access. I would like to see that math broken down step by step to make sure it is apples to apples - which BTW is a great party game.

Quote Originally Posted by storpappa View Post
    I woudl also - but it sounds like they are justing adding up the cost of a 2nd line on a family plan with TMobile and then adding TZones - and trying to compare that to what an individual pays AT&T for a regular line PLUS Internet access. I would like to see that math broken down step by step to make sure it is apples to apples - which BTW is a great party game.
    Apples to Apples is a fun game when you have a large crowd.

I think he has done some hacking to his phone that allows him to get his bill down that low... I think there are ways to get stuff free from Tmobile if you know what codes to input on your phone that'll activate free internet and such