Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If I buy a new iPhone before Christmas will it work on Rogers in Canada?

Question If I buy a new iPhone before Christmas will it work on Rogers in Canada?
    Hello,

I'm a current Rogers customer in Canada and I want to buy an iPhone before Christmas in the U.S. and bring it back. But I met a well informed iPhoner today who directed me to your site as, with the changes Apple is making, I have to do my research before I buy. I've been reading the threads here to try and understand if it still possible to purchase a iPhone that can I can unlock and insert my SIM card for use with Rogers. Is it possible? What do I look for in the Apple Store? What questions do I need to ask? (Or avoid asking?)

I'd appreciate any advice as I was all set to buy one and now I'm not so sure if it's such a good idea. Please advise. Thanks.

they wont' accept cash, they will only sell it to you if u purchase with ur credit card, furthermore, the recent iphone you get from apple now is 1.1.2 firmware, with 4.6 bootloader, in other words, you need to buy a turbosim/stealthsim/hypercard which cost extra in order for it to work

Default Rogers activation on iPhone
    I just got back from the US and am activating my iPhone for rogers... Here's the KEY:

DO NOT BUY a brand new phone from the Apple store. These are not capable of being unlocked (yet).

What I did is found an older phone for sale on craigslist (or ebay works good too) that originally had older firmware. Ask for the serial number on the back of the iPhone. If the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number is less than 44, then you can unlock the phone. This means the phone came out in week 44 or less and came with an older bootloader which is capable of being unlocked... even if the current owner upgraded to 1.1.2.

Hope this helps.

Yeah you can only purchase it with a credit card. And all most al iphones are 1.1.2 iphone.

The unlock is coming tho.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

You'd just have to wait a couple days maybe a week to be able to unlock it if IPSF's claims are true. And as people said above, no cash

Yeah IPSF have always been positive. ^
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..