View Poll Results: Hardware Vs. Software Unlocking?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prefer Software Unlocks

25 83.33%
  • Prefer Hardware Unlocks

5 16.67%

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Software Unlocking Vs. Hardware Unlocking

Default Software Unlocking Vs. Hardware Unlocking
    There is so much work around with the software unlocking and with the only solution currently for the OTB 1.1.2 phones what do you guys think about software vs hardware (stealth sims) unlocking?

I have always been a fan of hardware over software just form fear of new firmwares bricking the phone... not that is couldn't happen with a hardware unlocked phone, but I am curious what you think is a better all around option.

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks

Software is safer in a not messing up your phone standpoint.
    But hardware unlocks are funner

Software all the way. Easiest and free of course the way it should be.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i think software is going to be bigger for a major portion of iphone users.
    it is more likely for someone to know how to use a guide, and use their computer,
    than it is for them to know how to open a phone and know what all the pieces do,
    and how to work with the parts.

i'm speaking from the experience of being extremely capable on a computer,
    but there's no way I would open up the phone and try to tinker with it.

software!
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

It depends on what type of hardware modd you are talking about. For example i definitely use a turbosim but i'll never open up my phone just to see what's in there.

Software is of course easier but if the guide you are following has only one step wrong you're f***ed

MAN there better be a software unlock for OTB 1.1.2 iphones by next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

yowiphone. I want there to be an unlock too, but I am being patient - as long as it comes out by x-mas I will be content!

Thanks by the way for all of your opinions. I was going to get a StealthSIM but I guess I will wait for the software unlock.

** Kman's Prediction for 1.1.2 **

A software unlock for iPhone 1.1.2/BL4.6 will somehow magically appear after XMAS / NY sale period. Now in saying that I am guessing, but I put it down to this.

I don't know the DevTeam but I reckon 2 things drive them to do what they do and that is knowledge and notoriety. Both are very important, but the harsh reality of life is that neither will pay the bills.

Think about this. Apple/ARM love people like the DevTeam. To try and write near perfect code for the baseband that is completely bug & hack free before its actually released to market would be economical suicide and just wouldn't make business sense considering you have a product that for all intents and purpose works well. Why would you anyway, because you know that hackers will get to it as soon as you release it. Let them do it for you for free. Hackers help Apple/ARM because I can assure you their code writers would closely follow the developments of this forum,IRC channel etc, and would probably be members of it as well. I tell you if my job was to write firmware for Apple or ARM I would be on here for sure or Id have someone on here acting for me. Remember the saying, Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. I would follow all the progress and align myself with people who knew what they were actually doing. Potentially, the DevTeam are doing that persons job, or at least a very important part of it.

Apple have a contract with ATT, O2 etc that guarantees sales and a phone locked to their network for X amount of years. Don't you think there would be performance guarantees associated with those contracts. Don't you think that Apple would also have guarantees from ARM on how secure their processor is. When the security of an iPhone is compromised, I think the flow on effects would flow right down the food chain, and Im guessing all the way down to the guy/team who wrote the firmware. At the moment, the firmware is the weakest link and has been for quite some time. Remember this phone (or derivatives of it) will be with us for a long time, so this little period of ironing out issues is quite normal. I expect it to become almost impenetrable within 1 year or so, but more importantly, the lessons learnt can be carried onto future models and development to make them water tight from the start.

Anyway, back to my point. I think they have already discovered the answer. I think money has been paid to them to keep them quiet, at least until the XMAS, NY rush is over. As the DevTeam have said, they have found some flaws already that can be exploited and may do so when further firmware releases come out. As much as they are dedicated hard working people, in this world, money talks, and for the right price everyone can be bought. Now in saying this I am not slandering anyone or mean no disrespect to them whatsoever. I think they are brilliant individuals, but you can't buy cool car and clothes, and iMac or PC with knowledge or notoriety alone.

If I knew that an individual or group had broken my hard work and compromised what I set out to achieve, I certainly would make an offer to them because after all, it's just protecting my company and all of the intellectual property that it as developed. As big as Apple/ARM are, I can assure you the last thing that they need is something that could upset the shareholders, and something as big the iPhone being cracked for ever and a day has the potential to do so.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I am hanging out until after XMAS, if I am wrong, Bladox make some money from little old me

Oh and for me, it has to be software. Not that Im not up for opening this thing and tinkering (I have many years of electronics behind me). It's just Im anal and would look at a little scratch or something I created while pulling it apart for ever. I would probably even sell it hahaha.
    Last edited by KmanOz; 2007-12-09 at 12:26 PM.

i love a good conspiracy....

Everybody keeps flipping sides man, It's fun and games. Fun and games.

There's more to this than you could dream!
    But who pulls whose chain? Who knows?
    "Oh, what a deadly web we weave when we practice to deceive."

Who killed the President?

"Oh man, why don't you fu*kin' stop it? Fu*ck
    , this is too fu*kin' big for you, you know that? Who did the president, who killed Kennedy, fu*k man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The fuckin' shooters don't even know! Don't you get it? --FU*CK!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

lolllllllllllllllllll (laught out loud loud loud loud loud...you get it)
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.