Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Permanently unlocked??

Default Permanently unlocked??
    I have been a member for some time now but this is my first post.

I upgraded my phone to 1.1.4 in end of feb this year and unlocked it with ZiPhone 2.5. Everything was going well until today in the morning I un-installed summerboard and restarted it. the phone hanged while starting up and kept hanging after resetting. So I put it in DFU mode and restored it to 1.1.4. When the phone booted up to the activation screen I noticed that my phone was unlocked and running on my operator's network. So i ran Ziphone 3.0 and only activated and jailbroke it. And my wi-fi was working and I could make calls without any problems.

When I connected my phone to iTunes it asked me if I would like to restore it or setup as a new one. I restored it and saw my network blacked out. And then when the process was completed my phone was still unlocked!

So the question remains, does ZiPhone permanently unlocks the iPhone?

it doesnt unlock it permanently. Atleast not mine as I have restored it 3 times and had to unlock everytime with Ziphone 3.

Thanks

Zainee, it's not like that:

The phone will remain unlocked indefinitely unless you reflash your baseband manually in the event of corruption, or upgrade to a higher baseband by going to a higher firmware.
    If you unlock 1.1.4, and decide to restore later, the phone will remain unlocked as long as you restore to 1.1.4 or lower.
    If you downgrade to a lower version of firmware, let's say 1.1.4 -> 1.1.1, the baseband will still be at 1.1.4 baseband, and will therefore still be unlocked (phone functions on 1.1.1 don't work with 1.1.4 baseband, however).

You will lose your unlock if you upgrade to anything higher than 1.1.4. (e.g. 2.0)

In short, iTunes only breaks unlocks when you upgrade your firmware.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-05-26 at 04:15 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

triad (2008-05-28)

HI Guys...

Appreciate your kind advise. my iphone comes with 1.1.4 firmware and just now i have running my Wi Fi for few hours and trying to install some software. After install and refresh my iphone cant search my network and stated No Service. thei uninstalled all the software i download before. after i restart it will catch the network but the signal fluctuated and sometimes no service.

No my iphone dont have any signal. Hope you guys can help me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by airul View Post
    HI Guys...

Appreciate your kind advise. my iphone comes with 1.1.4 firmware and just now i have running my Wi Fi for few hours and trying to install some software. After install and refresh my iphone cant search my network and stated No Service. thei uninstalled all the software i download before. after i restart it will catch the network but the signal fluctuated and sometimes no service.

No my iphone dont have any signal. Hope you guys can help me.
    You need to do a restore with iTunes

dale1v thanks for the info. I now wanna winpwn my phone. What do i do then? do i jut pwn it?

Thanks

You pwn the bootloader (iPwner), so that it accepts custom firmware
    Then you build your own custom firmware with the IPSW builder
    Then, in iTunes you restore to the custom firmware that you made.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

triad (2008-05-28)

thanks alot dale1v. successfully pwned my iPhone!

Thanks

No problem.