Results 1 to 7 of 7

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: is jailbreaking the same thing as unlocking? confused

  1. #1
    Question is jailbreaking the same thing as unlocking? confused
    is jailbreaking the same as unlocking? because i have heard different things. someone also told me that in january a software update is coming and will turn any unlocked iphones into bricks, will this happen with unlocked iphones?

  2. #2
    jailbreak=read/write access with AT&T sim
    unlocked=read/write access with NON AT&T sim
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2007-11-14 at 09:27 PM.

  3. #3
    ok thanks. a lot of people have confused me but now i know. so my phone should be ok when the update comes out?

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    jailbreak=read/write access with AT&T sim
    unlocked=read/write access with NON AT&T sim
    Mostly true.

    Jailbreaking will give any iPhone the ability to Read-Write, meaning you can install your Third Party Apps, etc etc.

    Unlocking simply means the phone can be used with any wireless carrier. The two are not actually related. An iPhone can be unlocked without being jailbroken, and vice versa.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Mostly true.

    Jailbreaking will give any iPhone the ability to Read-Write, meaning you can install your Third Party Apps, etc etc.

    Unlocking simply means the phone can be used with any wireless carrier. The two are not actually related. An iPhone can be unlocked without being jailbroken, and vice versa.
    Well Thank you I did realize that it was an option.
    Why anyone would want an unlocked iPhone with some random sim card and not want read/write access to mods is beyond me.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Well Thank you I did realize that it was an option.
    Why anyone would want an unlocked iPhone with some random sim card and not want read/write access to mods is beyond me.
    ah.. some people just have no interest it pushing the iPhone to its capabilities... I have a friend at work here who has no interest in using Third party apps. Go figure.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  7. #7

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •