Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If I buy an iPhone in the UK (from Apple Store or O2) and unlock it what happens?

Default If I buy an iPhone in the UK (from Apple Store or O2) and unlock it what happens?
    So if I wander into an O2 Store, Apple Store or Carphone Warehouse, buy an iPhone, go home and unlock it (when that's eventually possible)... what happens?

Will Apple make me pay 800? Will they do nothing? I had a play with one today, that's all, and it made me want one!

Anybody here in the UK just bought one for this purpose yet?

alot have lol.

nada, go for it, just know you cant use it yet with anysim card.

Well I just worry, because on a few forums I've heard scare stories from people about how they only let you buy an iPhone with a credit card now - and they will charge this card with the full contract amount if you don't activate your phone through O2.

Quote Originally Posted by SadMac View Post
    Well I just worry, because on a few forums I've heard scare stories from people about how they only let you buy an iPhone with a credit card now - and they will charge this card with the full contract amount if you don't activate your phone through O2.
    They cant do that, when I bought mine I signed no contracts and was not informed I would be charged for not activating the iphone, only that you have to get the contract to use the phone.

Some people were able to pay for the iPhone using cash. Regardless, o2 will not try and charge you the full contract amount.

You could go and buy another iPhone and throw it into the sea if you wanted. Nothing o2 or anyone else can do about it.