Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UK iPhone unlocking help

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy UK iPhone unlocking help
    Hey folks, heres the crack: i realy need some help, im going to buy a uk iPhone on the 9th however i realy realy dont want to take out an 02 contract so........ im gona need to unlock and activate the iphone to be used on a uk vodafone pay as you go sim card. Any help would be great (software, guides, links etc). I also have some questions about using the internet (safari) on a pay as you go sim card, will it cost me anything? etc.

Any help atol would be braw!

Cheers people

P.S im a mac user by the by, and feel free to email me!

ta

[email protected]

Hi norfskate,

I would hold off buying one in UK until people have succesfully unlocked them, as the UK phones may have a different firmware by default.

btw: vodafone UK is cheap if you only browse their live! pages (fairly limited info), other data (including emails & standard web) is very very expensive with them (I know, as I blew through £20 in a day), try using Orange or T-Mobile as they have much cheaper data in their PAYG sims.

cheers,
    Robert

You might struggle to get ahold of one. If you go to an o2 store youll have to sign a contract before you can actually buy the phone. also the case at carphone warehouse. Apple stores on the other hand im sure will be different, but without releasing a new itunes I doubt theyll be able to do it as the yanks have with AT&T. Id seriously consider paying a little more for an import. I paid about £290 for mine with 1.0.2 firmware on and It's unlocked which means my warrantys gone anyway.

I cant see them releasing a new firmware since 1.1.1 has the international menu so I assume itll be the same. Probably with that **** background with the bubbles that my k800i had on it though

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

hey, good point, however i actualy work for the carphone warehouse so i defos have my iphone comin in, interested in your import tho, do you use a pay as you go sim? Do you have to pay more for web browsing? I know this sounds a bit silly concidering i work for carphone, but we realy haven't been told anything about the phone or how it works.

Cheers guys

Thanks

yeah activation of the phone will be different most likely; this is apples resopnse to the unlocking of the American iPhones. You will probably have to sign the contract before you get the phone. There will be a new mini update or something for the UK version, to make it all UK like- I hope that it can be put on my phone, I need to get rid of that number format, its so annoying. Sounds scary with the likelihood of a new firmware update- could it wreck US iPhones? Hmmm... Wait for there to be concrete hacks for the UK one, my advice.

dale you can fix the number problem now, search for the international keypad hack it involves modifying one plst file to allow the international settings.

It fixed the date, time and phone numbers for me

Yep any pay and go sim works, Wifi works but no edge, you need a contract

im looking at the £15 simplicity package with the web addon

thats 200 mins and 400 texts and and a 200mb internet for like £22.50 compared to the iphones £35 minimum

Actually if you read carphonewarehouse website and the o2 one it says the activation is the same as it is in the States. It's all done through ITunes.
    Plus with the new IPhone uk plans there is no 1 text sent from aboard = 4 text from you bundle.
    Last edited by soulboy; 2007-11-04 at 02:01 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

my girlfriend works in carphone warehouse and they got manuals about selling the iphones about a week ago and there meant to have a test on it lol. if you work in carphone warehouse you should have the demos in? can you not find out the firmware?

im in the UK too, and worrying about the whole new firmware for unlocking. norf, why not buy one from the US/get one shipped over and unlock it yourself?