Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Activation - No Warranty?

Default No Activation - No Warranty?
    A couple of months ago I upgraded my 8gb iPhone to a 16gb.
    I bought it from eBay pre unlocked / jailbroken / activated as I currently have a Vodafone contract.
    It came with an O2 SIM card in the box - but I have been using it with my Vodafone one since the day it arrived. I've upgraded it to 1.1.4 and then PWN'd it recently using the fake activation again.

I've just checked my serial number on the Apple website and it also says my iPhone hasnt been activated... so I dont qualify for any warranty. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone so far - but I want to be covered incase anything does go wrong.

Is there any way to activate the phone using the O2 SIM - but without signing up for a 35 per month deal? I'm happy with my current Vodafone contract - but would like a warranty on my iPhone!

good question

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually had a problem where I bought a used 16GB iPhone for my wife and part of screen was washed out. I put in my serial number on Apple's website and it said that the phone had never been activated. After reading the fine print I found that "warranty service is not dependent on activation."

So I called Apple and the first go round the lady told me they could not do anything for me unless I activated the iPhone through iTunes first. She referenced me to read the policies on the support site to which I read off the policy verbatim which shows that the warranty was not dependant upon activation. The typical circular logic ensued so I hung up and called back.

Rep #2 was more helpful but still claimed she couldn't help. I calmly explained that I understood it may not be within her power to help me but I would need to speak with her supervisor about the problem. I was on hold about 7 minutes before the supervisor came on. I made up a BS story about not wanting to activate with AT&T and be paying for a service plan while my iPhone is out for repair. Another 10 minutes on hold and the supervisor came back on agreeing to service the phone!

They over-nighted me a box to overnight the iPhone back to them. Total turn-around time was one week and they sent me a brand new 16GB iPhone!

No matter what they the reps tell you on the phone, be persistent. Ask for a supervisor, ask for a manager! As long as you can prove your iPhone is under warranty they have an obligation to service it, just make absolutely sure you completely re-virginize your iPhone before sending it in. If you have a 16GB version you don't even need an actual receipt as they have been on the market for less than a year which is how long the warranty is.
    Last edited by navalynt; 2008-06-26 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Warranty is not activation dependent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Warranty is not activation dependent.
    That's right, but according to the last rep I spoke with on the phone their "policy" is to not issue an RMA unless the iPhone has been activated. You have to talk to a supervisor or manager to over-ride that.

I got my phone through iPhoneSimFree.com, before I realized how easy it would have been to do it myself.

I just assumed since I didn't buy it from an Apple store I had no warranty... am I wrong?

Thanks

iPhoneSimFree only sells an iPhone unlock as far as I know. Did you somehow buy the hardware through their site or did you just do the unlock through their site?

Purchased the 16g iPhone from FreeIt4Less - It's Your iPhone, Unlock It! which is a hardware provider for the iPhoneSimFree service. It came shipped to my door unlocked, jailbroken, I slid my T-mobile sim in it and made my first call immediatly.

Then I found this website and realized how easy it would have been to do it myself. But my only receipt is through PayPal... so I doubt I have any warranty protection. How would I tell if my phone was registered? what apple site?

Thanks

I wish I could toss you a paddle considering the creek you're up but all I've got is this: If it's a 16GB iPhone you can plead your case to a supervisor on the phone to get a repair approved because they have not been available at retail for a year so it obviously has to be under warranty.

If it's an 8GB or a 4GB you are not going to get any help without showing them some proof of purchase from an Apple store or AT&T
    Last edited by navalynt; 2008-06-27 at 10:40 PM.

I read all of the warranty fine print and no where does it say that service and warranty is not dependent on activation. On the other hand it says that Apple may require you to abide by registration rules to qualify for warranty service.
    That being said I called Apple today and told them that I read that the warranty fine print says that warranty is not activation dependent as I learned from above. At first they told me their was nothing they could do until I activated. I asked to speak with a supervisor and told him the same thing. After an hour or so of holding and waiting and repeating myself, they agreed to repair or replace it under warranty.
    Pretty amazing that it worked even though their warranty says otherwise.