Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: dealer plan with non dealer iphone

Default dealer plan with non dealer iphone
    so heres my situation. where i work i get a goooood discount on at&t services. i can get 2000 minutes, unlimited data, and 200 texts for only $25/mo. and no contract signing. problem is... they just recently put a rule on this saying that you can NOT activate this dealer plan under the iphone anymore. if i want the iphone and all of its services i have to do it without the dealer plan (no discount (like $85/mo))

i had this idea... what IF... i get my dealer plan with "no phone" just get the service and claim i already have a at&t phone. then activate the iphone myself. and just pop that sim card right in the iphone. would that work (calling, internet, texting, etc) i figure visual voicemail would be the only thing that might not work.

the only other problem i can think of happening is the iphone not taking the sim card for some reason since the service isnt supposed to be for the iphone. in that case could i just install anysim and put my new att sim in there and have it actually work?

if not i have to take my phone back and get some cheap phone to pay the 25 a month.

I use an old cingular plan & sim in one of my iPhones and works great. Just activate it yourself and your good to go. No visual voicemail though.

well the thing is... they told me that the dealer discount wont work for iphones... and if someone already has an iphone and they have the discount then they will lose service until they downgrade the phone... which sounds ridiculous but im sure they cant be lying to me.

so is there anyway around that... like by saying "oh yeah im going to get a different phone and use the same sim card that came with the iphone and i want this discounted service since im not going to be using the iphone" or would they be able to tell. i have to give them my sim card number and my IMEI number... which im guessing i would say i dont have yet since i "dont have the phone yet". then when the service gets put on the sim card ill pop it in the iphone and it should work?
    orr would i need to install anysim since supposedly the other iphones people have with the discounted service on their sim cards will be temporarely deactivated until a downgrade of the phone happends?
    Last edited by modbox14; 2007-10-31 at 10:49 AM.

i am about to switch from my 1st gen iphone (which I was able to keep with my dealer plan after i unlocked it) and about to switch to the 3G iphone. Do you think they will be able to find out that it is switched since the iphone 3G is not unlockable yet?

they can 100% tell and you will get notified or a huge bill. Trust me I know

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You don't want to mess with phone companies thinking you can get around it. I'm using Iphone 3G with 2G service plan (thinking I was smart). Next thing I noticed, they switched my plan to 3G. Phone company can detect what you're using and their system can hunt you down.

when you were using your 3G with a 2G plan, did you turn off the 3G service so you were just using edge? that was what I was planning on doing and wasn't sure if it would work or not.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Your IMEI number will show up on AT&T's system and you cannot get around this so no matter what you do you have to either pay iPhone prices or get a different phone to keep the $25 plan.

To Burdell1: You will get a text saying that your current plan is not supported by the 3G phone. They did that to me when I was running the 3G on my 2G plan. Then you have to call and change the plan or face getting cancelled/billed out the butt.

They will know. As a matter of fact, I downgraded back to the old iphone plan. If you have firmware 2.2, it automatically locks the phone until you upgrade to the 3G plan.

do you think when the iphone 3G is unlocked, that might bypass it?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just won't bother doing anything to get around these cell phone companies. They have thought of every possible things you might try to do already. So trying to out-smart them is kind of hard.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    related question...

if for example the time comes that all the unlocking solution like (turbo sim, software unlock, etc..) works great, and then i cancelled my iphone plan at at&t (forget the fees) and then put let say tmobile sim, would i be charged with huge internet data if i only use it on WIFI??