Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: pwnage 1604 - do I do iTunes restore or re-pawnage

Default pwnage 1604 - do I do iTunes restore or re-pawnage
    My 1604 problem

New iphone, unactivated. Used pwnage.

pwnage completed all stages successfully and finished by confirming "Succesfully built custom ..."

Phone should now have been in recovery mode

Itunes opened telling me that I did not have internet access. I gave it access.

I had to manually put phone into recovery mode.

Itunes opened. Confirmed I had latest firmware version.

When I attempted to restore with the custom ipsw file, by clicking alt restore - mac, (shift restore PC), after about 1 min I got the 1604 'unrecognised error'.

I have followed instructions from several posts about this problem with no success.

*** Can I click restore (from itunes), will this reset the phone back to standard and I can start again with pwnage?
    *** Can I start again with pwnage, without restore?

Some background information / details of what I have tried:

Mac was on battery power not mains (I did not realise). With PC I had problems with usb interfaces that would not work on battery power.

Original ipsw file and custom file were both loading from flash drive. I copied ipsw file to the mac hard disc, removed flash drive and tried again -same 1604

I read that restore may work on a pc with XP. Tried that, still 1604

I read that powering up in dfu mode should work. (hold sleep and home on pwr up). PC recognised that iphone was in dfu mode (indicated in task bar). - still get 1604 error.

Read about opening the newipsw file directly from the folder it is in (it opens itunes) - did this - still 1604

Tried dfu mode a few more times, but DFU mode does not show up on taskbar now.

itunes version = 7.6.2.9

Any guidance would be appreciated particularly answers to my 2 questions above about - 1. should I try an normal itunes restore or 2. try to re-pwnage.

ColinK

PS Apologies if this is a double post - I did a quick reply earlier today but cannot find my post.

Thanks

I got this the first time I tried WinPWN. I re- made my custom ipsw file, leaving all settings (in WinPWN) as-is. It worked fine after that.

Had the same problem, just do a clean DFU restore to 1.1.4, then Pwn your phone again, build a new IPSW and everything should work.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

Default Missing something?
    Hi guys...here's what I'm doing and I keep getting the 1604 error.

1. Loaded 1.1.4 stock to my iPhone.
    2. Taken 2.0 5A240d image into PwnageTool, told it to activate, build IPSW
    3. Put iPhone in DFU mode
    4. Tell iTunes to restore my newly pwn'd image
    5. 1604 error!

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by AotW View Post
    Had the same problem, just do a clean DFU restore to 1.1.4, then Pwn your phone again, build a new IPSW and everything should work.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtharasta View Post

5. 1604 error!

What am I doing wrong?
    I had the same problem unlocking my friends 16GB Iphone while guiding him through Skype on a MacBook. He was in Madrid, I was in Mexico. Everything went fine until the Iphone was loaded with custom firmware. Then I realized that somewhere in a forum I read that Itunes had to be upgraded to latest version. I got him to update and then we just loaded the custom firmware since the phone already successfully was pwned. It was a successes no more problems or error messages. I would at least give that a try, check for software update and install the latest Itunes. I also read in a forum that Pwnage 1.0 is less buggy and that solved some peoples problem with the unlocking. Good luck
    If you want it, get it, no matter the risk, y only live once, and gadgets are replaceable.....
    iMac 2.8GHz i7 12GB Ram, MacBook Pro 13", MacBook Air, Cinema Display 30" iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, ATV2

Quote Originally Posted by bobtharasta View Post

5. 1604 error!

What am I doing wrong?
    Make sure you are running the latest iTunes on your computer.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

I read on Apple's site that I should try restoring from a different user account on my mac, and that seemed to work for me. I used iTunes on another account to restore it, and when the time came to activate and sync, I flipped back to my user account and loaded all my shizzle into it. Here's the article from Apple:
    Error 1604 When restoring iPhone in iTunes

you guys have to pwn the phone first, (idk if you did mention that, but same thing happend to me, forgot to ipwn it b4 uploading custom firmware) idk if it helps

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

also when you restore phone with itunes, set up as new phone. just incase. this may also help along with newest itunes
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!