Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some simple advice needed please

Default Some simple advice needed please
    Hello,

I've just bought a new iphone which is sitting here next to me waiting to come out of its box.

I am in the UK and have a contract with O2 and for those of you that don't know (I bet you all do anyway!) they are the 'preferred' network for the iphone here.

As my contract expires in about two months I would prefer to keep using my current sim/contract rather than enter into a new 18 month contract for the iphone. I am sur eyou can undertsand that in two months I could get an upgrade when my contract expires along with a better tariff etc so it seems sensible to keep going. I would therefore like to unlock the iphone so that I can pop my current sim in and use as normal.

Having read a number of comments on these forums I wonder whether I should bother to try it myself as I might mess the phone up. I also don't understand some of the terminology that is used such as jailbreak and firmware etc and I'm not sure that really applies to me anyway.

I wondered whether any of you could advise me (please talk to me as though I am an 8 year old!) as to a relatively safe and simple way to go about unlocking the iphone without me needing a degree in science/technology. I am also unsure as to the sequence in which I should do things i.e. do I activate it first?

Sorry to sound stupid but whilst I am good at some things I am not the best when it comes to technology!

Many thanks

GBH

Hi GBH I am in the Uk & brought my phone last year whilst on holiday & have tried a few differnt programs to get it working with verying degrees of sucess. If you just want to get it activated & unlocked I would try Ziphone as this has worked the best for me all you need to do is click the do it all button on it & approx 5 mins your phone is all ready to use. Or if you want to be a bit more adventious try the PwnageTool I can't comment on this though as I havn't tried it yet as the windows version hasn't been released yet. Mine is all unlocked & on the Virgin network the only thing I have found important to do is make sure your phone is fully charged before you start.
    Hope this helps
    Dave

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dave010567 For This Useful Post:

GBH9880 (2008-04-06)

Thanks Dave it's very kind of you to reply. Does the Ziphone thing cause any other problems though?

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

ive heard its hit and miss. just make sure you start from a fresh restore and itunes and set up as a NEW phone before you start anything.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Thanks Desepticon. I think I understand!