Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile T-Zones EDGE Settings Fix for 1.1.4

Default T-Mobile T-Zones EDGE Settings Fix for 1.1.4
    I have been struggling with the issue of getting the internet to work via T-Zones on the 1.1.4 firmware but I finally found a fix.

Basically the issue is that almost all the t-zones files that people have listed on here or on various other forums are from months ago. No one has bothered to update them, and due to the new 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 firmwares, apple has then since moved the locations of certain files around. So when all the preferences.plist and proxy.pac files were created they were created with one of the older firmwares.

So the fix was to EDIT the preferences.plist file and make it so that it points to the correct location of the proxy.pac file.

(Located in the preferences.plist file)
    <string>file:///private/var/root/proxy.pac</string>
    -changed to-
    <string>file:///private/var/preferences/proxy.pac</string>

In any case, all you need to do is download the preferences.plist file that I have included, as well as the proxy.pac file and upload the two files to the following locations using either iBrickr or iPhone PC Suite. These folders are all one and the same so if you copy proxy.pac to library/preferences the file should automatically show up in the remaining two directories. But just verify to make sure that both files are in all three directories.

(proxy.pac)
    library/preferences
    var/preferences
    private/var/preferences

(preferences.plist)
    library/preferences/systemconfiguration
    var/preferences/systemconfiguration
    private/var/preferences/systemconfiguration

Make sure that your EDGE settings are as follows...
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    Username:
    Password:

Thats it. I have verified this to work on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 with no other t-zones hacks installed. With this method you do NOT have to install any of the t-zones fixes, this is basically the manual way of doing it. I would UNINSTALL any T-Zones hacks that you have already installed prior to installing these files. Also clear out your Safari History and Cookies as well.

I have only tested this method to work with Safari, I don't know if it will work with email or YouTube. I only know that this will get your Internet working so that you can browse the internet with Safari via $5.99 T-Zones.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DSMKilla; 2008-04-02 at 11:47 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DSMKilla For This Useful Post:

chemicalcomfort (2008-04-05), dailydoseofk (2008-04-25), fas61 (2008-07-04), izzy29 (2008-05-09), specialtylaser (2008-04-25), ~Antonio (2008-04-08)

Thanks for helping me out here...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97181

This method worked for me this morning, but it has then since stopped working. I cannot even access email now... Not sure whats going on... Should I try javiert30's method posted in the above topic?

sweet seems to work for me. youTube doesn't work on edge, but i don't remember if it did before. w/e thanks
    My Installer Source for themes, wallpapers, and keyboards: http://www.apogeeltd.com

I have a 16gb iphone on 1.1.4. I previously had the Tzones hack from installer installed and it was working fine. These past few days I would get a HTTP error message when loading a page of like $CODES or something like that. However, if I would hit refresh again, all browsing from then on would work until the end of the session.

I uninstalled the Tzones hack, restarted the phone, and did your steps to install. Seemed to work ok until the next day when I couldn't connect to EDGE at all.

I've since reset the network settings and installed the Tzones hack from installer and all is back to normal (including the occasional HTTP $CODES error). Oh well, thanks for the effort!

can you please tell me which hack you using from installer as i tried to download the bigboss hack but it gives me a error message saying i should get 1.1.3 hack but i cant find it anywhere in installer can you please give me the source for the hack

is there a speed difference between tzones and tmobile total internet package?
    thanks

tried OP's method.. worked for 1 day and not working again. Is it something T-mobile is doing??? or for some reason 1.1.4 update using ziphone is conflicting with t-zone hack?? Sounds like people using u nder 1.1.4 version does not have much problem

is it possible somehow preferences.plist.back file reset the setting or updated file??
    Last edited by tota1ecl1pse; 2008-04-07 at 01:05 PM.

As posted above, I am using OP's method. It stopped working for me, then it started working again.

Recently, it stopped working saying "Safari cannot find the server". Nothing would work, email, safari etc. Then I restarted my phone. Turned it off, turned it back on and edge hack (posted in OP) worked.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedZen View Post
    As posted above, I am using OP's method. It stopped working for me, then it started working again.

Recently, it stopped working saying "Safari cannot find the server". Nothing would work, email, safari etc. Then I restarted my phone. Turned it off, turned it back on and edge hack (posted in OP) worked.
    what is OP? i'm trying to figure out what your talking about because im trying to get my 1.1.4 edge to work

Quote Originally Posted by nadiasortiz View Post
    what is OP? i'm trying to figure out what your talking about because im trying to get my 1.1.4 edge to work

OP = Original Poster, the person that started the thread.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hm, I just bought my first 16GB iPhone tree days ago. I'm on t-mobile so I used iLiberty+ to unlock and all that good stuff. All I had to do was change the APN to wap.voicestream.com and everything else blank. No prob, no need to edit some .plist. YouTube and everything else works fine. I still have the $19.99 unlimited plan left over from my blackberry, so I don't know if it plays the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphincter View Post
    Hm, I just bought my first 16GB iPhone tree days ago. I'm on t-mobile so I used iLiberty+ to unlock and all that good stuff. All I had to do was change the APN to wap.voicestream.com and everything else blank. No prob, no need to edit some .plist. YouTube and everything else works fine. I still have the $19.99 unlimited plan left over from my blackberry, so I don't know if it plays the difference.
    From what I understand, the $19.99 plan works OTB, so yeah, that's probably it.

BTW, this Edge hack works! Thanks much for saving me a bit of editing time!

Hey, just a side note... has anyone else lost their wifi and edge icons? I mean, the actual functionality is still there, but the icons are gone.

UPDATE: Nevermind, my icons returned after about twenty minutes. It also took that long to see the DHCP settings, though again, the functionality was still there.
    I wasn't able to load YouTube... has anyone tried Big Boss' YouTube fix for this?
    Last edited by ~Antonio; 2008-04-09 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by ~Antonio View Post
    BTW, this Edge hack works! Thanks much for saving me a bit of editing time!

I wasn't able to load YouTube... has anyone tried Big Boss' YouTube fix for this?

Edge hack w/ T-Zones is very cool. I am using the OP (Original Poster)'s method and it works. If it drops, just restart the phone and it works again.

Youtube should work without any problem on wifi. It doesn't work with edge (t-zone hack, not sure about full plan), but download the installer app called. Mxtube. That app works.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does this fix the COMVERSE error in Safari? I mean, is it better to uninstall everything (since I'm getting that derned error) and then redo it using this method?

Quote Originally Posted by batman129 View Post
    Does this fix the COMVERSE error in Safari? I mean, is it better to uninstall everything (since I'm getting that derned error) and then redo it using this method?
    Not sure what the COMVERSE error is, but try uninstalling BigBoss's (BigBoss has my highest regards) or whatever T-Zone Hack and try OP's method. It never hurts to try. I am getting perfect Safari and Youtube with edge, granted, after having used broadband for about 10 years, using edge is slow... But apparently speedtests show a good 140kbps.

Hope it helps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DisturbedZen For This Useful Post:

kikisito (2008-07-09)

this works on my 1.1.4 JB, UL'd with inDependence

In response to the people who are having issues where sometimes the internet stops working, this is happening to me as well. I have to restart my phone and then it works again. I dunno why this is happening but it's obviously not just happening to ONE person seeing as how everyone is having the same issue. But restarting the phone does seem to resolve the issue so I guess it's better than nothing

Green Apple
    Thanks

i tried this method and it didnt work for me, so i installed the big boss 1.1.3 tzones hack from installer...it didnt work instantly but it works now...for some reason it took the whole day and night and now its running perfectly with no errors. i kept getting and http error and comverse with the op's method. but now im all good....thx anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by nadiasortiz View Post
    i tried this method and it didnt work for me, so i installed the big boss 1.1.3 tzones hack from installer...it didnt work instantly but it works now...for some reason it took the whole day and night and now its running perfectly with no errors. i kept getting and http error and comverse with the op's method. but now im all good....thx anyways!
    Yeah this is exactly the kinda behavior that I was talking about in my post above. It seems to do this on and off. Sometimes the internet will work and sometimes it will just give COMVERSE errors, then you have to reboot the phone and try again then it will work. It's very strange

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DSMKilla For This Useful Post:

drtimal (2008-05-06)

yup schinpter i attest I just unlocked 1.1.4 iphone with iLibertyX for t-mobile with total internet plan 19.99. and egde wasnt working but putting wap.voicestream.com in the APN edge network field fixed the problem. THANKS A BUNCH SCHINPTER!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast