Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How will the merger affect my internet?

Default How will the merger affect my internet?
    I have T-mobile and am using the internet2.voicestream.com apn to get unlimited internet for $10. After the merger with ATT, will the same apn worj? Or will i need another one? Or will i not need one at all?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I would say your question is a little premature considering the merger hasn't even gotten regulatory approval yet. BUT.... if I had to guess I would say it will remain the same considering the fact that mergers tend to happen very slowly... your phone and service will stay the same. The first thing to change will be the letterhead on your phone bill. They will grandfather in your plan until you purchase your next phone which will most likely have to be an AT&T handset and at that point you will have to pick a new rate plan.

Bottom line.. you'll be fine with what you have for at least another 2 years or so.

Alright, thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I would say your question is a little premature considering the merger hasn't even gotten regulatory approval yet. BUT.... if I had to guess I would say it will remain the same considering the fact that mergers tend to happen very slowly... your phone and service will stay the same. The first thing to change will be the letterhead on your phone bill. They will grandfather in your plan until you purchase your next phone which will most likely have to be an AT&T handset and at that point you will have to pick a new rate plan.

Bottom line.. you'll be fine with what you have for at least another 2 years or so.
    According to what I have been told internally I can tell you that customers who are under a contract will be the last to migrate over to a new RP with a new phone IF (BIG IF) the merger gets approval and goes through. Customers who are not under a contract may see they are provided a new RP and Phone sooner then later. Basically if your not under a contract at the time of merger, if you wish to get a new phone fairly shortly thereafter you will most likely have to choose an ATT handset and plan.

That being said, it's all up in the air until it gets approved or not.

On a side note; ATT has been extremely quick about its mergers and conversion in the past (Dobsen in Alaska, Cingular before ATT) and they have a fairly good track record of taking care of the customers throughout the transition. I wouldn't worry, mainly cause there isn't anything you can do about it. :-) *cheers*

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post

T-Mobile explicitly stated that it will remain an independently operated company for those of us with contracts prior to the AT&T merger. Even the bill will continue to be from t-mobile.

However, after the merger goes through t-mobile will (presumably) be on the same towers as AT&T, so I think there may be some implications for us t-mobile users who are using old non-smartphone data plans (e.g. T-Zones) for our iphones. T-mobile doesn't seem to care much about as long we don't call t-mobile and tell them we are using an older non-smartphone data plan on our smartphones. But AT&T might start cracking down on this. One question I've been wondering about is if we keep t-mobile for an iphone, I wonder if we'll have access to AT&T's 3G network for our iphones.