Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking iPhone 4 for T-Mobile Question

Default Unlocking iPhone 4 for T-Mobile Question
    So I'm planning in getting an iPhone 4 and unlocking it to be on tmobile. What is this "gevey" thing I'm hearing about on here? When the iPhone 4 first came out, in order to unlock it you had to cut the tmobile simcard to smaller simcard's size.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

GEVEY SIM

New iPhone 4's require the turboSIM to unlock. If you have the extra cash buy a factory unlocked for $649+tax from Apple If not I guess you could use the Gevey SIM. Problem is in the future the baseband will be upgraded for future iOS releases and if you upgrade the baseband, the turboSIM is likely not to work on it anymore. It supports up to the latest one right now, but later on you might not be able to update until (or if) Gevey comes out with a new one to unlock with. It is possible though for an iPhone 4 to preserve the baseband and you could use it in the future to keep the baseband but upgrade the fw to iOS 5, but that's assuming TinyUmbrella will keep the functionality available. In the longrun it would be easier and less stressful to have a factory unlocked. But of course I understand some people don't want to spend $300 more just to have a factory unlocked iPhone...but it's definitely worth it if you can.

Edit: Oh yeah as for micro SIMs I think T-Mobile sells those so you don't have to cut anything.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Edit: Oh yeah as for micro SIMs I think T-Mobile sells those so you don't have to cut anything.
    Oh, wow

When did they start doing that??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Recently I heard. I hope I heard right lol, wonder if it is T-Mobile I'm thinking about or something else haha.

Edit: ok yup it's tmo lol I googled

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Interesting. I guess now that Apple is selling factory unlocked iPhones, Tmo would make it easier for everyone bringing their iPhones to them to just give them a micro sim.

I remember the last time I went there which wasn't too long ago (about 2-3 months ago) they were still doing regular sims

Ya. At first you had to actually cut the regular simcard to a microsize simcard. They even sell cutters for it on eBay

How much would one of these gevey sim cards cost? And activating with tmobile etc?

Edit: and now that tmobile sells microsims, can't I just buy from there?

There are lots of places to get the gevey sim. Price depends on where you buy from. Be careful tho, lots of fakes! I bought my gevey ultra from a guy on eBay for $18. Works great!

Ok good. I was hoping nothing really expensive. And what about the tmobile microsim. Will those work?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yep T-Mobile's micro SIM will work fine.