Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable Data Roaming on T-Mobile iPhone

Default Enable Data Roaming on T-Mobile iPhone
    I used ultrasn0w to unlock my iPhone 3G (firmware 4.2.1) and it runs fine on T-Mobile. I can use EDGE whenever I am on T-Mobile's network but whenever I roam onto AT&T it will not let me access data. I know it is not a limitation on the carrier's end because when my dad's Nexus One running on T-Mobile roams onto AT&T he can still access cellular data. In settings I do have data roaming turned on. I also cannot figure out how to enable MMS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The reason you can't roam (data via EDGE) is the frequencies are different between AT&T and T-Mobile. This is a hardware restriction. Someone must change. Either the carriers or the phones must support both

On second thought, wait just a minute... someone please chime in here. I know 3G is on a different frequency, not 100% sure about EDGE.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-14 at 11:15 PM.

AT&T and T-Mobile use the same frequency for EDGE. It's why I can use my iPhone on T-Mobile. The only difference in frequencies between the network is their 3G frequencies. And I get an E next to the carrier when I roam onto AT&T. But when I try to load a web page when I'm on AT&T I get an error message reading something along the lines of, "Cannot access cellular data. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ahh. The same data EDGE frequencies. Guess it makes sense. about a year ago I traveled outside my area and roamed on AT&T (including data I think ) without issues. Wonder if there's been a service change or something is messed up with your account settings @ T-Mo.

It's not too big of a deal; where I live I'm blanketed with T-Mobile coverage but when I was traveling last week I was on AT&T constantly and it was a real bother not being able to use my data.

I would still like this fixed if anyone has an answer!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Have you called T-Mo? It could be their problem and not one with the phone

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wonder if it has anything to do with the different access point names.

I know they can share the same edge frequencies but its quite possible that while roaming on att it thinks you're on their network and the apn doesn't match. Just a hypothetical statement.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Hard to tell. I do know T-Mo service has been very kind and helpful to me They 'like' iPhone users

One more thing. When I roamed last year, no changes were required. It just worked

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ^Hard to tell. I do know T-Mo service has been very kind and helpful to me They 'like' iPhone users

One more thing. When I roamed last year, no changes were required. It just worked
    See I agree. My gf uses Tmo on her I4 with the ultrasn0w unlock and where we live is practically att area and it just works. Weird.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Also, is your account a postpaid, FlexPay, or prepaid account? Is it a different type than your dad's?

A prepaid or FlexPay account may have limited data roaming by T-Mobile or at&t in ways a full postpaid account is not.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave