Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3-4g on iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3-4g on iphone
    will we get 3-4g on iphone when the merge is completed or are we stuck with edge speed

Austin

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by has55 View Post
    will we get 3-4g on iphone when the merge is completed or are we stuck with edge speed

Austin
    Are you asking about the proposed AT&T - T-Mobile merger?

No current iPhone supports 4G.
    3G is available on 3G, 3GS, and iP4 depending upon the cellular network. (AT&T=yes, T-Mo USA=no)
    Edge is available on all.

We will have 3G speed when and if it does happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    3G speeds are currently available on AT&T and many other carriers around the world.

Yes, I understand that lol, but OP is asking when the merger happens, will T-Mobile get to use the frequency that AT&T uses and the answer to that is yes.
    Dude T.M.I

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If that was his question, and I don't understand you reply. We don't have 3G today??? I think we do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post

We as in members of tmobile will have 3G speed on the iPhone 4, 3gs, and 3g when and if the merge with att and tmpbile happens

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your reply is correct .. assuming the op is a T-Mobile customer and was asking about the proposed AT&T - T-Mobile merger. As for 4G .... there are no 4G iPhones. Even 3G for T-Mo customers won't happen overnight. Knowing AT&T, it'll likely take a long while to change T-Mo's towers to their frequency.

Truthfully, the op's question is very terse. It's not entirely clear what was being asked It's always been my motto to understand the question before providing an answer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

Mes (2011-07-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Your reply is correct .. assuming the op is a T-Mobile customer and was asking about the proposed AT&T - T-Mobile merger. As for 4G .... there are no 4G iPhones. Even 3G for T-Mo customers won't happen overnight. Knowing AT&T, it'll likely take a long while to change T-Mo's towers to their frequency.

Truthfully, the op's question is very terse. It's not entirely clear what was being asked It's always been my motto to understand the question before providing an answer.
    I do agree the OP's first post was very terse and I honestly had no idea what they were asking although I answered the way I understood. However, you are completely correct. A merger between the two companies at the very least is going to take a year.
    Dude T.M.I

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I heard the only reason ATT is trying to buy TMobile and merge is because they want TMobile's towers so they can have more firepower to ramp up 4g speeds and less interference.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

that's what I heard too

I don't know how I feel about the merge...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    ...I don't know how I feel about the merge...
    I do . In the US, we have 2 standards for cellular network: GSM and CDMA. If AT&T acquires T-Mobile, a single source (aka: monopoly) exists for GSM. CDMA is Sprint and Verizion. Taking this one step further, since GSM is the primary world-wide GSM standard, AT&T will have a significant and unfair world-wide competitive advantage ... the definition of a monopoly. There's never been any doubt what effect monopolies have on prices, service, and the like. Competition breads innovation

ok guys, as a tmobile customer, i was told that the iphone 3, 3gs, and 4 work Only on ATT frequency. In order for us to use the tmobile frequency an iphone would have to be built to accommdate it. hence the making of the Tmobile 4S. If and when the merger happens, we will have a couple options. 1-purchase 4S, 2-keep tmobile sim, grandfathered features and remain on edge or 3-upgrade to att sim for 3g, but may lose some of the grandfathered features and pay more ie fab 5, 19.99 data plan, 9.99 family unlimited messages etc. (shows how long ive been with tm) lol Thats what i was told, just thought Id throw that in the mix .

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you and staying put (grandfathered since 1994). One day (IF the merger is approved and WHEN the frequencies are changed) we possible-ex-T-Mobile customers will have 3G speeds on current models.

More likely (and probably much faster I expect), there will be a iPhone that works with T-Mo's frequency. But I'm not holding my breadth

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you and staying put (grandfathered since 1994). One day (IF the merger is approved and WHEN the frequencies are changed) we possible-ex-T-Mobile customers will have 3G speeds on current models.

More likely (and probably much faster I expect), there will be a iPhone that works with T-Mo's frequency. But I'm not holding my breadth
    thanks everyone for your help. What is a OP?

Austin

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by has55 View Post
    thanks everyone for your help. What is a OP?

Austin
    OP = Original Poster

which in this case is you @has55
    Dude T.M.I