Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Web To Go?

Default Web To Go?
    Got a nasty charge on my T-Mobile bill last month about using internet on the iPhone. Total ******** cause I made sure that whenever I used internet, I did it from WiFi. Apparently Apple doesn't recognize T-Mobile sims to access WiFi so it was actually connecting straight to the T-Mobile network, hence the large bill.

Anyways, was wondering if there was a way around this? I saw that I can pay $10 a month to use WiFi for T-Mobile, will that work with an iPhone? I also heard about a Cydia app that tricks other apps into thinking you're on WiFi even if you're in the middle of no where. Will that also work without T-Mobile charging me an arm and a leg?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You've got it all wrong, the $10 tmobile wifi is so that u can use their wifi access points at places like Starbucks and airports. And those apps ur talking about is so that the phone uses cell data instead of wifi, but the phone thinks it's on wifi. This is because some apps only work on wifi, and not on cell data.

As for ur problem, the way to avoid using cell data is by going into settings, general, network, and turning off cellular data. That way u can't use it by mistake unless u turn it back on. (only catch is that u need to turn it on when sending/receiving mms).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

Rubido (2010-10-15)

So just turn that off and I won't have to worry about that charge showing up on my bill again?

What if I'm using the iPhone like at my Universities Wifi? Think T-Mobile will cover that? And will popping the sim outta my phone let the phone connect directly to wifi and also void the charge?

U can connect to any wifi and tmobile will not charge u, wifi is free where available. What probably happened was that u thought u were using wifi but u were using edge. Disabling cell data will turn off edge so u will not be charged. Taking out the SIM also works, but it's probably a lot easier to just turn off cell data lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

Rubido (2010-10-15)

Ohhh. Wow. So not flicking a switch literally costed me $50. That sucks haha.

Thanks for the help man. I probably would have been really frustrated if no one told me anything haha.

No problem, it should give u a warning though..I always got a warning saying "u will be charged $1.99/MB to use Internet,click OK to continue" everytime I used cell data..idk why u never got that msg

It was probably because it told me I was connecting through Wi-Fi.

So just flick off the switch and I'm good right? Just to double check?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubido View Post
    It was probably because it told me I was connecting through Wi-Fi.

So just flick off the switch and I'm good right? Just to double check?
    After you have CELLULAR DATA "OFF", you don't have internet access, so, when you able to access the web that means you're on wifi....

and there's an icon next to the between the TMOBILE and TIME that looks like ...idk (wifi icon )...lol