Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: We need a complete guide (from somone who has all running good)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rinnycoop121's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry We need a complete guide (from somone who has all running good)
    We are going to need a complete guide from stock to jailbreak to unlock to settings to files installed from cydia and file editing via ssh

Firmware 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.02 and 4.1

If we want to help each other and get this thing going.

i know there are a few guys out there who have nothing working, there are a few who have MMS and Safari working.

There are a few who have Youtube working.

Some do not have cellular data network tab in there settings area and some do.

we need to put our heads together and figure out how to get everything working.

and we need a complete detailed guide.

yes i know some people my think i am a [email protected] but it makes no sense to have a Brand New iPhone 4 that does not work.

i hope someone out here in in Modmyi.com land feels me on what i am saying.

Don't get me wrong i am all in for trial and error but this is getting ridiculous
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Don't forget the hit the Thanks Button

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rinnycoop121 For This Useful Post:

dmb07anf (2010-11-01)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...-how-to-guide/

once jailbroken and unlocked, add epc.tmobile.com to cellular data apn and mms apn.
    mmsc is mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    mms proxy 216.155.165.50:8080
    mms max message size 1048576
    mms ua prof url http://apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
    in cydia download youtube fix #1 (#2 if 1 doesnt work and #3 if 2 doesnt work) if youtube doesnt work ON EDGE
    push notifications worked for me from the start. no need to edit files using ssh.
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-13 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DROID does... iPhone does it harder, better, faster, stronger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyyitsjordan For This Useful Post:

dmb07anf (2010-11-01)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yay finally got my MMS workin on my unlocked Iphone 4 on 4.1..thnks guys ur a life saver!! also got internet working from Tzones lol epc.tmobile.com is the key guys!!

Speaking from experience, there is no complete guide because it gets huge quickly; people will not read it and moan at others to do it for them instead. Take a look at the T-Mobile carrier bundles sticky. It almost has 2000 posts. There was a full guide from the first iPhone to the latest. Few read it.

Default I got everything working
    Hopefully it'll help someone.
    Tmobile unlimited talk and text. No data plan. I spend 99% of my time either at home or at work using wifi so I don't see the need for painfully slow Edge.
    MMS, youtube, facetime, safari...pretty much everything I'm using is working.

iphone 4 on 4.1
    previously jailbroken 4.0.1 with jailbreakme.com
    upgrade to 4.1 using tinyumbrella to preserve bb
    JB by limera1n. Ultrasn0w to unlock.

during upgrading and jb-ing and unlock, I left an invalid/inactive ATT sim in.

Got the cellular data network tab back after limera1n by take the sim out and reinsert, reboot a couple of time.

SSH into the phone using winSCP to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
    and replace com.apple.mms_override.plist with

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>MMS</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GroupModeEnabled</key>
    <false/>
    <key>MMSC</key>
    <string>http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms</string>
    <key>MaxMessageSize</key>
    <integer>9999999</integer>
    <key>MaxRecipients</key>
    <integer>10</integer>
    <key>MaxVideoBitrate</key>
    <integer>131072</integer>
    <key>Proxy</key>
    <string>216.155.165.050:8080</string>
    <key>UAProf</key>
    <string>http://www.apple.com/uaprof.rdf</string>
    <key>UserAgent</key>
    <string>SonyEricssonW800i/R1L</string>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

reboot
    go back to cellular data network to make sure all the settings are there. I had to add APN on both cellular data & MMS using epc.tmobile.com

reboot

follow instruction from mitime.info to get factime activated again. Been using FT for almost 2 months. No extra international txt charged.

It was easier to get everything working on 4.1 than previous 4.0.1

This post will become very useful to me once I purchase my iPhone 4. Quick question, if I buy an iPhone 4 without the 2 year contract (yes, I know it's still tied to AT&T) do I have to insert an AT&T mini-sim to active THEN jailbreak/unlock? Or can I jailbreak and unlock right when I take the iPhone out of the box and plug it in etc?

Thanks guys !
    VinhSon Nguyen
    Motion Graphics Designer

If I helped you in any way, please don't hesitate to click the "Thanks" button!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Hmm I put up a guide on what can or can't be done with each iPhone/iPod in regards to jb from either stock or already jailbroken. Also covers the tools that can be used and what stipulations may apply.

As for YouTube or MMS or Push not working, there's one simple solution to that: buy your phone's official carrier's SIM or a universal activation SIM. because hacktivation is what causes those problems. Many of the new jb tools hacktivate, but that in itself will create the common problems listed. So the simple solution is to manually activate with an official SIM.

Jailbreaks usually go flawless if activated manually.

Edit: btw, my jb guide can be found in the stickies section in the Jailbreak portion here on MMi.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-04 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost