Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking for kind souls to help a troubled man :]

Default Looking for kind souls to help a troubled man :]
    Hello, I joined the site today with hopes that someone might be able to help me with my strange iphone problem. Ill apologize upfront if this is the wrong place to ask :[

I currently have an iphone 3gs unlocked and jailbroken on ios 4.0 for t-mobile. Ive had the phone for about 2 months now and never had a problem with it. A couple days ago my phone froze using an app and so i reset it (holding the sleep+home button). All of a sudden, the phone doesnt read the SIM card anymore. Ive tried re-unlocking it, taking the sim out and putting it back in (about 100 times), and reset the phone many times.
    I thought it was a problem with my sim, so i tried my sim with another iphone (also 3gs unlocked and jailbroken) and it worked fine. I tried putting another SIM in my iphone and it doesnt work. So its abviously a problem with the iphone.
    I thought also it might be a problem with sim reader, but i dont think so as ive heard this only occurs when the phone takes some kind of physical damage.
    Im all out of hope so i look to you guys here at modmyi.

PLEASE HELP.

When u say u reset the phone, do u mean restore? Did u try re-installing ultrasn0w? Disable pin on the sim card?
    Or if you have any cydia apps that are related to phone calling, apn stuff, uninstall those and retry

by reset i meant holding the sleep+home button for 10 sec. ive re-installed ultrasn0w about 20 times. pin has always been disabled. ive already uninstalled apps relating to phone calling, etc.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Do you have your SHSHs saved? You might have to restore. Before you do so tho, try installing the toggle for ultrasn0w for SBSettings and toggle it on and off to see if that'll trigger it to work. If not, you can check to see if you have your SHSHs with TinyUmbrella. Get it and select advanced options then select "iPhone 3GS 4.0" and click "save SHSH". It should tell you in the log below if you've got them or not. If that fails, keep trying with 4.0.1, 3.1.3, and 3.1.2 in TU to see if you somehow have any of those saved. If you have any SHSHs, I can walk you through on how to restore the phone without losing your jb and unlock.

Annie, as the ultrasn0w toggle scheme failed, i have continued with TU.
    Below is what i got.

Device: iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293) Model: MC137LL/A Name: iPhone 3Gs UUID: 1132B8B60BF6D88A9F8AFD63DE94B98A37BF4E86 Baseband: 05.12.01 - 6.4_M3S2 09/26/2010 01:23:32.156 Processing SHSH Request... 09/26/2010 01:23:32.171 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)... 09/26/2010 01:24:08.234 SHSH SUCCESSFULLY saved! [Click Here to Open] 09/26/2010 01:24:08.250 You have saved your SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version. 09/26/2010 01:24:08.281 Caching shsh files... 09/26/2010 01:24:08.312 Found [1] shsh files to cache... 09/26/2010 01:24:08.359 Cached [1] shsh files

Also, not sure if this helps, but i get the SIM FAILURE and INVALID SIM errors.

Also also, when i connect to itunes, it reads "There is no sim card in the iphone you are attempting to activate."
    Last edited by rkdwlsdn; 2010-09-26 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well the good news is that you have your 4.0 SHSHs! I'm happy for you cuz you can restore now and hopefully fix the problem.

Follow this:

Requirements:
    1) 4.0 stock ipsw
    2) tinyumbrella

Steps:
    1) close iTunes if opened
    2) open tinyumbrella
    3) run the TSS server
    4) open iTunes
    5) set phone into DFU mode
    6) when iTunes detects phone, hold shift then click restore
    7) select the stock 4.0 ipsw
    8) let iTunes do its thing
    9) when finished you should be at the emergency call screen

Now I don't know if you've got an official carrier's SIM or a universal activation SIM but you'll need one to get past this screen to jb.

Jb by going to safari and navigating to "jailbreakme(dot)com" and slide to jb. Then go to Cydia and install ultrasn0w.

Edit 2: in regards to the iTunes notification, setting your phone in DFU will bypass that.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-26 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have t-mobile SIM and my phone is already jailbroken and unlocked.
    Shall i continue with your aforementioned restore method?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You won't be able to access your phone if you restore and can't activate it. When i said official carrier's SIM, I meant the phone it is locked to. Like US phones are locked to AT&T so an AT&T SIM is needed. Can you get a hold of it?

That's the only way to activate and jb the phone. How did you do the jb on your phone before?

Oh i apologize :[ Im not too tech-savvy.
    I believe the phone is locked to at&t, but not sure as i bought this phone used from someone. Also jb not sure on because it was previously jb when i bought it. The unlock i did myself through ultrasn0w.

Also thank you for taking the time to help :]

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well you definitely want to get a hold of an AT&T SIM then (any will do, like a prepaid or an unactivated one, or borrow a friend's if you've got one with AT&T) because you will get locked out of your phone if you restore.

Do not restore until you can get a hold of the SIM. I'm not sure how you can verify that it is locked to AT&T, but if you bought it from someone else who could activate it and is here in the US, i think it is likely an AT&T phone.

Oh alright. Thank you Annie :]
    As a insurance method, if i were to take the phone to a local cell phone fixup store, would they be able to fix it?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

They can't do anything more than you can.

This isnt a problem with the SIM tray/reader correct? Since the iphone can differentiate whether or not a SIM is in. It just cant read the SIM.

Or is it a problem with the SIM tray/reader??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It shouldn't be. But if it is, its not expensive to buy a replacement. I got one for under $5 including shipping.

Is there any way to know if it is a problem with the sim reader without physically opening up the phone?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I'm assuming that if it can identify "invalid SIM" it can read it just fine. Otherwise it would simply say "no SIM"

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Well the good news is that you have your 4.0 SHSHs! I'm happy for you cuz you can restore now and hopefully fix the problem.

Follow this:

Requirements:
    1) 4.0 stock ipsw
    2) tinyumbrella

Steps:
    1) close iTunes if opened
    2) open tinyumbrella
    3) run the TSS server
    4) open iTunes
    5) set phone into DFU mode
    6) when iTunes detects phone, hold shift then click restore
    7) select the stock 4.0 ipsw
    8) let iTunes do its thing
    9) when finished you should be at the emergency call screen

Now I don't know if you've got an official carrier's SIM or a universal activation SIM but you'll need one to get past this screen to jb.

Jb by going to safari and navigating to "jailbreakme(dot)com" and slide to jb. Then go to Cydia and install ultrasn0w.

Edit 2: in regards to the iTunes notification, setting your phone in DFU will bypass that.
    I understand steps 1-9 but what do i do after the emergency screen?
    Just stick in one of the two required SIM cards and itll just start working? Do i reset the phone?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You then plug the phone into iTunes and put the SIM in. ITunes will activate the phone. If it states "waiting for activation", you still get past the emergency call screen and are able to get to safari to jb, i believe.

I asked a friend of mine if i could use his AT&T sim card. Will this process affect his SIM card in any way? After i pop his sim card in, i just jb and unlock, and then put my original sim in?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Nope it won't affect his phone or SIM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast