Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: data plan

Default data plan
    When you buy a new smartphone from T-Mobile they usually make you sign up for their stupid data plan? Is their any way to get out of that data plan because I really don't feel like paying 30 dollars a month for something I will barely use. I heard that you can call and tell them that it got stolen and then put your sim card into another phone and then use that new phone again after a week or two. Thanks1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antman1 View Post
    That is only valid for Sidekick plan users... not for those wanting no (or cheap) data plans.

OP:
    There is no need to get the smartphone plan if you're using an iPhone. That plan is only required for Smartphones sold by T-Mobile itself, and the iPhone has never been sold by T-Mobile US. You can simply get the $10 Web2Go/'Phone First' data plan or even skip a data plan altogether (having no data plan is not recommended).

Be aware, if you don't opt into a data plan, you might get random errors from data-consuming apps when away from wifi and push notifications might not always work, as push typically uses cell data to send notifications.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

so then I guess the follow-up question is... can anyone confirm that the 10 dollar phone first data package (for non-smartphones) does work on the iphone ? if so can someone post some links and/or config instructions? (APN info...etc)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2006yamahaR6 View Post
    so then I guess the follow-up question is... can anyone confirm that the 10 dollar phone first data package (for non-smartphones) does work on the iphone ? if so can someone post some links and/or config instructions? (APN info...etc)
    Yep! I can confirm that this works. I have an old Samsung flip phone and with it I signed up for the $10/month unlimited data plan. I then switched my SIM over to my iPhone, installed the appropriate carrier bundle, and I was good to go!

Instructions:
    You're going to want to want to avoid calling customer service entirely, or else (I've heard from numerous people) they can tell what phone you are using to call them; not sure if this is true or not, but still. They'll tell you that their $30 data plan is "required" with iPhones (which isn't true, of course - it's just they want to milk more money out of their iPhone users). Do this all on the web. Go to your T-Mobile account page online, make sure your phone is set as the T-Mobile Shadow. Then add the Shadow unlimited data plan service to your account ($10).

After that, go to this thread here and download the ZIP file according to which OS version you are on (3.1, 4.0, or 4.1). Follow the instructions within to install the bundles; you will be using the "Legacy" bundle.
    Important! Before you install the Legacy carrier bundle, install the CommCenterNoSig patch (either found on Cydia or manually installed, as detailed in the same link above). This patch is needed for bundle functionality.

After you reboot your phone with your new carrier settings installed, open up Safari and you should be able to access the internet through your new data plan just fine!

I hope this helps you!

okay, so my understanding is that it will only work under the Tmobile shadow's plan - and not just the generic non-smartphone "phone first" data plan (10 bucks). Is that right?

oh **** so ive been payin $30 all this time for nothing!!?? smh...

for this step here

"Yep! I can confirm that this works. I have an old Samsung flip phone and with it I signed up for the $10/month unlimited data plan. I then switched my SIM over to my iPhone, installed the appropriate carrier bundle, and I was good to go!"

what happens if i have an iphone 4 and my micro sim card doesnt fit into my alternative phone?
    by the way i have a nokia 1661 pre paid phone as an alternative phone can i set up the $10/a month unlimited data plan pay as you go with this? then i would just have to add unlimited text messaging and im good?

can i set all of this up online when i sign into my tmobile account by any chance?
    Last edited by sixbuilding; 2010-11-07 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

okay, so my understanding is that it will only work under the Tmobile shadow's plan - and not just the generic non-smartphone "phone first" data plan (10 bucks). Is that right?
    It should work, it's just that the Legacy plan is most commonly used, which is why I suggested it. I used the standard bundle myself but the Internet APN led me to a page saying that a subscription upgrade is required because my phone wasn't compatible with the current data plan. I used the legacy APN instead (though I'm still signed up on the non-smartphone data plan) and it works great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sixbuilding View Post
    oh **** so ive been payin $30 all this time for nothing!!?? smh...

for this step here

"Yep! I can confirm that this works. I have an old Samsung flip phone and with it I signed up for the $10/month unlimited data plan. I then switched my SIM over to my iPhone, installed the appropriate carrier bundle, and I was good to go!"

what happens if i have an iphone 4 and my micro sim card doesnt fit into my alternative phone?
    by the way i have a nokia 1661 pre paid phone as an alternative phone can i set up the $10/a month unlimited data plan pay as you go with this? then i would just have to add unlimited text messaging and im good?

can i set all of this up online when i sign into my tmobile account by any chance?

You don't have to do any SIM card switching. I just did that because I had to call customer service for something and I didn't want them to see I had an iPhone. Simply cancel your current data plan and switch over to a $10 one, all doing this online, and you'll be fine. Always manage your account online now, it's much easier than dealing with the reps.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

well thats really weird because I tried updating my carrier bundle to legacy, standard and tzones.... and the internet didnt work with any of them... i kept getting that web2go upgrade page .... and i was sure to reboot b/w each install and saw no cellular data tab (couldnt add apn info) and still no internet..... any idea?

get this though - i connected it to my computer via usb and enabled tethering and i was sure i had my wifi off on my laptop and no ethernet plugged in and the internet actually worked via tethering, but that was once, I couldnt duplicate it again.... and i still couldnt get it directly from the phone

strange....

Thanks

well thats really weird because I tried updating my carrier bundle to legacy, standard and tzones.... and the internet didnt work with any of them... i kept getting that web2go upgrade page .... and i was sure to reboot b/w each install and saw no cellular data tab (couldnt add apn info) and still no internet..... any idea?

get this though - i connected it to my computer via usb and enabled tethering and i was sure i had my wifi off on my laptop and no ethernet plugged in and the internet actually worked via tethering, but that was once, I couldnt duplicate it again.... and i still couldnt get it directly from the phone

strange....
    Try the standard bundle and then use internet2.voicestream.com for your internet APN. That's my set up. If that doesn't work for you, it'll be the process of elimination from then on; seeing which internet APN works. How to enable APN editing: How to Enable EDGE/APN Editing on Jailbroken iPhone | The iPhone and iPad Blog by Simon

but the ipcc files from the thread you gave me, disables apn editing - and I was informed by some people there that the legacy bundle is the one that has internet2.voicestream.com

IT WORKED!!!!!!! thanks to all the guys that contributed and helped

what worked for me:

1. restored to make sure no other packages i had installed had any conflicts with the above mentioned software

2.installed carrier reset fix from pushfix repo (cydia.pushfix.info)

3. IMPORTANT: After installing carrier reset fix from pushfix repo, MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE the SIM AND REINSERT

4. Confirm that the package worked by going to settings -> general -> about -> carrier should say tmobile 7.0. (prior to installing it will probably say unknown, if it already says T-mobile 7.0 then you're awesome)

5. Install Commcenter patch (i did it via ifile on my iphone, but i guess you can do it whatever way tickles your fancy)

6. Proceed to install the .ipcc via itunes by ittine shift+update and pointing the browser to the LEGACY BUNDLE

7. Sync

8. Reboot

(8.5. Pray)

9. fire up safari and try doing a google search, or browsing a website you havent been to before

10. Thank SpookyET for his hard work
    Last edited by 2006yamahaR6; 2010-11-07 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

never mind i was helped thanx for the help guys... i appreciate it
    Last edited by sixbuilding; 2010-11-08 at 02:35 PM.