Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is the usual EDGE speeds?, IOS4 on 3GS-T-mobile

Default What is the usual EDGE speeds?, IOS4 on 3GS-T-mobile
    I just got the $59.99 plan through t-mobile. I'm using the internet2 APN. The highest speed I've gotten is 102 up and 87 down, usually it's around 30-50 down. I've tried downloading the tmobile carrier bundles with no success and am wondering if these kinds of speed are all I have to look forward to or are there other settings I've overlooked.

Not sure about your fancy names for all that but I call it "edge" service. I get speeds around 130 down and 20-30 up. I hit pockets of speed every once in a while. Sounds like you have edge. I'd get out of that plan if I were you. Edge is fine for what it is but not for 60 bucks a month. F that.
    For the APN you could try "epc.tmobile.com" .
    I don't know the difference but it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by dtommyd; 2010-09-06 at 09:53 PM.

I'm pretty sure he meant $59.99/month for voice+data+text plan from T-Mobile. T-Mobile do not have a $59.99/month data plan :P Unlimited HSPA+ (I get 12/3 speed on Vibrant heh) is only $30/m.

I get 200kb up and like 80kb down on iPhone 4..3G on tmobile would get u like 3mb up and 1 mb down, in Miami at least. Edge is okay for me anyway for light web browsing, if I ever need to download something big I just use wifi which is 12mb up and 10mb down =D

My 3GS on 4.0 gets between 25 to 175 down, and 5 to 80 up. On average, usually 50 to 75 down, and 20 to 40 up. Seems like it depends where I am in proximity to a cell tower, interference from objects like buildings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant $59.99/month for voice+data+text plan from T-Mobile. T-Mobile do not have a $59.99/month data plan :P Unlimited HSPA+ (I get 12/3 speed on Vibrant heh) is only $30/m.
    Yeah that must be true. It has to be. Not too sure now but years ago you could get a $5.99 a month data plan. They also had a $19.99 plan that you could tether your laptop. Both plans used (use?) the same edge network. I had a Razr phone and an iBook Mac. They didn't offer support for Macs so I had to hack it anyway. If you could do a few google searches you'd find its fairly easy to just pay for the $5.99 plan.
    PS - While I know the edge network is slow, there are still lots of things you can use it for if you plan ahead. The most obvious stuff like downloading your podcasts, saving your youtubes, using mobile friendly sites (yes on a laptop). And a bunch more. If your stuck with edge for whatever reason you can make the best of it. I regularly use it to watch TV from my Slingbox and Orb.com. Its not HIDef but I'm still watching football on my iPad in the back seat sucker! I've done it for years on a 100-120kbs edge connection. I also like to use LogMeIn to control my home PC. Things go pretty damn fast that way.
    PSS - I also have my eye on Virgin's 3g prepaid service (from walmart) for $40 bucks a month for "unlimited" (whatever that really means.)

What APN are you using macruadhi? Internet 2? You speeds are way faster than mine. I'm using wap.voicestream.com.

Does anybody know, are the other servers faster?