Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS what are my options for update

Unhappy 3GS what are my options for update
    my phone has been stuck in a geohot loop since last night. I was running 3.1.2 and installed rock to get openssh when cydia started crashing but then wifi disappeared. I did a reset of all network settings and haven't been able to get back into the phone since then. (it's not possible that I accidentally upgraded the firmware right? I would know if it did that right?) I have shsh on file with cydia for 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1...what are my options right now. I'm freaking out and don't know what to do. Whatever I do the phone is useless if I can't unlock for use with T-Mobile.

PS - I've seen some talk about needing an ATT SIM to do a new unlock. Is this so? Does it have to be a brand new SIM?

Please help me, i'm having anxiety attacks over this.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If you have access to a mac there is a modified redsn0w that can get your phone to boot up again. Let me know and I can find the link for you. If you want to go the upgrade route you can go to any of those firmwares you have SHSH for, you will need to use tiny umbrella or point your hosts files to cydias server in order to update and not be forced to go to 4.0.2. You will need a AT&T sim to activate (any AT&T sim should do) or a phonebook sim. IF your iphone was jailbroken by blackra1n and it was not tethered (you could turn off and on without having to run blackra1n again) then you have another option. You can put the phone in recovery, create a custom 4.0 firmware with pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze and restore to that custom firmware and you won't need a AT&T sim or tiny umbrella with this method.

i can see if any of my friends have a MAC but I do not. I installed tiny umbrella yesterday but I can't get it to show me the shsh on file. not sure what I'm doing wrong. I would love the links for MAC though please.

oh! and just to be sure...if I do upgrade I will not lose the unlock? I don't care about losing any of the apps since I never downloading anything that costs anything (I'm cheap like that lol) just want to make sure the unlock will be ok.
    Last edited by Vonnie Boo; 2010-08-28 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You will lose the unlock you will just have to install it again after the restore, it will be ultrasn0w now to unlock. If you are untethered blackra1n jailbroken you can do the last part of what I said.

ok left it trying to boot back up all day. No success. do you have any links for the options you mentioned?

Thanks

RESOLUTION: Blacksn0w Reboot Loop / No WiFi Signal / Reset Network Settings / Unlock - Page 6 - Hackint0sh post 52 has the link to the modified redsn0w

You were using blacksn0w to unlock right?
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-08-28 at 11:40 PM.

i assume it was blacksn0w. I bought the phone already unlocked with blackra1n and cydia on the springboard already.