Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreaking/unlocking for dummies! please HELP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation jailbreaking/unlocking for dummies! please HELP
    When I purchased my iPhone, it came already jailbroken and unlocked for me using blackra1n. My wifi went on another one of its fits now I don't have wifi once again. It's rather annoying and usually comes back, but this time it's been almost a month. I want to restore, jailbreak, and unlock my phone, but don't know where to start.. I have several questions about backing up my information, apps, and the actual process itself before I try myself and turn my phone into a brick. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! <3

16gb 3gs
    Carrier: T-Mobile
    Version: 3.1.2
    Firmware: 05.11.07
    iTunes: 9.2.1.4

Okay, here are my questions.. I really don't know what I'm doing, so some of my questions might sound very dumb. Beware, I have many questions!

1. I use iphonebrowser for windows, can I can use that copy my contacts, notes, etc to my computer? Or is it better to use itunes to sync my data?

2. I have 150+ apps some free from the app store and most installed through ********** on my phone. Is it possible to sync the ********** apps onto itunes also, or should I just forget them and reinstall them after the jailbreak?

3. Whenever I open cydia, it says that I have SHSHs on file for OS/iOS 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, do I use this to restore my phone? If so, how do I access and download the "SHSHs" to use for my restore? (I plan on restoring it back to 3.1.2)

4. Do I need an older version of itunes?

5. How do I restore my phone to 3.1.2 factory settings?

6. The process to jailbreak seems very easy. Am I supposed to use blackra1n or one of the newer jailbreaking tools?

7. After the jailbreak, how do I unlock my phone?

--Thanks for answering my questions and providing any other information I might need to know

1. I'm sure you can, I myself use itunes to backup my data.
    2. It should be possible to sync all your apps. You need to download something called appsync from cydia I believe.
    3. if you plan on restoring back to the same firmware your on now, you won't need the SHSH blobs, they are used for downgrading.
    4. its probably better to have an older version, should be okay to use the version your on but I am not completely sure.
    5. What you need is to download the .ispw file for 3.1.2 specifically for your phone.
    6. I would suggest using blackra1n, the new userland jailbreak uses a PDF exploit that has not been patched on 3.1.2.
    7. If you use blackra1n, it should be a complete solution (blackra1n RC3) so you should be able to unlock after you jailbreak from your phone.

Everything you need to restore and rejailbreak should be at this link:

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware with blackra1n RC3 | Redmond Pie

Next time, use google or search on the forums first

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ctscloud23 For This Useful Post:

anhiemai (2010-08-22)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you thank you thank you for taking the time to reply! <3