Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Im confused and need some help please...

Default Im confused and need some help please...
    Ok I bought an iphone 3Gs that was not unlocked and jailbroken and had been upgraded to 4.0 with Baseband 5.13.04....then of course I found out I couldnt jalibreak it so I waited for it, got impatient, sold it and bought one on Ebay unlocked and jailbroken, with cydia installed. It also has the SHSHs on file. He also said it had the "much coveted old bootrom" but when I recieved it today it is as described but it was on 4.O with 5.13.04. How is this possible? I know I didnt have the SHSH for the first one I bought so I know that may be reason but I thought you were screwed if you upgraded to 4.0 with new baseband. So what did the seller mean when he said old bootrom? I thought bootrom and baseband were the same. i duno, i know seller told me it was jailbroken with Blackra1n. Any info would help...Thanks.

Thanks

You can have the new baseband on the old bootrom. They're two different things. You could have jailbroken your old phone if you had the old bootrom.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Martin0327 (2010-07-14)

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    You can have the new baseband on the old bootrom. They're two different things. You could have jailbroken your old phone if you had the old bootrom.
    I see....I thought they were the same thing! Im a newbie (im sure you can tell)

Thanks! if it was jailbroken with Blackra1n doesnt that mean a tethered jailbreak?

And last can I connect to itunes...Im sorry Im really a newb and Im afraid of losing my Unlock and JB.

Is there any do's and dont's with a JB iphone.

Sorry and thanks again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin0327 View Post
    I see....I thought they were the same thing! Im a newbie (im sure you can tell)

Thanks! if it was jailbroken with Blackra1n doesnt that mean a tethered jailbreak?

And last can I connect to itunes...Im sorry Im really a newb and Im afraid of losing my Unlock and JB.

Is there any do's and dont's with a JB iphone.

Sorry and thanks again.
    Well you can have a tethered and non-tethered blackra1n jailbreak. It really depends on the bootrom. If you're currently on 4.0 and your phone is unlocked then you have to old bootrom.

Yes, you can connect to iTunes but if you want to keep your unlock DO NOT upgrade your firmware when your are promted to. Wait until you see something in the front page that your device has been both jailbroken and unlocked. Other than that, you should be able to use iTunes normally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Martin0327 (2010-07-14)

I am in a similar situation with 3gs with bootrom 359.3 and baseband 5.13.04 and firmware 3.1.3. From my reading the only jailbreak is spirit but the ultimate goal is jailbroken and unlocked with 4.0 and sn0wbreeze will not work with spirit jailbreaks. I cannot got down to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n because I get the stupid 1394 error in itunes (have tried many different host file mods).

Am I just Stuck?

your stuck for a week, spirit will be updated for 4.0 once 4.0.1 is released to the public
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks

Yea some rumors are going around saying Apple is releasing 4.0.1 within the next day or so...jailbreak will follow soon after

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Yea some rumors are going around saying Apple is releasing 4.0.1 within the next day or so...jailbreak will follow soon after

Ok adp...last time promise. Just to confirm I can connect to itunes (latest version ok?) just dont update when it prompts me too and Im safe?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Yea you can do everything in iTunes normally but when you plug in your phone you're gonna be asked to update. Just hit cancel (or do not update). Other than that it will all work fine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Martin0327 (2010-07-15)