Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphonesidekick.co.cc question

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

gqgarnett, I just installed it on my basement server which uses XP (desktop originally put on was win7) and using same instructions from this thread got it working.

Did you rename the files in the "etc" folder to remove the ".default"?
    Did you change the squid.conf file to the one from the website?

BTW, antman I finally got YouTube to load on the third attempt. Not sure why it decided to finally work but it does now.

EDIT - youtube loads, but videos won't play. I think it's a bandwidth issue because if I turn on wifi it plays just fine. With the proxy I get a popup that says "This movie could not be played"
    Last edited by digitalreflex; 2010-07-04 at 06:50 PM.

Hi guys, I'm trying to get this to work as well, but I'm having some newbie difficulties.

I downloaded Antman1's Squid 2.7 with TMobile Config (thanks), created CSquid and extracted the files there, then used the install.bat. Then I forwarded port 3128 and created a config with iPhone Configuration Utility and installed it on my iPhone, but I apparently did something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Thanks

You might have the same issue I had and need to create an exception for Squid in your windows firewall.

Also, make sure you rebooted the computer running squid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalreflex For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Quote Originally Posted by digitalreflex View Post
    You might have the same issue I had and need to create an exception for Squid in your windows firewall.

Also, make sure you rebooted the computer running squid.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I still can't seem to get it to work though. I feel like I've skipped something big as I'm completely new to this.

When creating the config profile, the section where you put your "external ip address", is that simply my IP address if say I visited: http://www.showmyip.com/ ?

Assuming I haven't skipped anything, is there a way to test exactly if I correctly forwarded port 3128 to my IP?

Thanks again

Thanks

That is how I got my external IP too. Did you also add the port 3128 in the box after the IP in the configurator? Also, I think you may need to reboot your iphone after you install the tool.

Not sure of testing it other than using whatsmyip in safari on the phone.

Just to be sure, can you verify that Squid is running on the host pc?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalreflex For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

That is how I got my external IP too. Did you also add the port 3128 in the box after the IP in the configurator? Also, I think you may need to reboot your iphone after you install the tool.

Not sure of testing it other than using whatsmyip in safari on the phone.

Just to be sure, can you verify that Squid is running on the host pc?
    I added the port 3128 in the configurator, yes.

Also I've restarted my iPhone, my PC, and router a couple times just to be sure.

Is there an actual Squid program? Or does it just run through services? I see it in my services list and the status is "Started", so I believe it is running correctly.

Thanks again!

Thanks

Hmm, I would guess it is being blocked by a firewall then as it sounds like its running and that you did the configuration correctly.

Only other thing I can think of is if you are forwarding the port to the right pc. I say this because I have several pcs and have to be sure to pop in the right address.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalreflex For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Hmm, I would guess it is being blocked by a firewall then as it sounds like its running and that you did the configuration correctly.

Only other thing I can think of is if you are forwarding the port to the right pc. I say this because I have several pcs and have to be sure to pop in the right address.
    Hmm, 99% sure I'm forwarding to the right PC. I have the latest Norton Internet Security but I disabled the Firewall for all of this. If you allowed programs through Windows Firewall, I'm curious what path you browsed to in order to allow Squid?

Thanks.

--------------
    EDIT:

Hmm, not sure what I did, but apparently it works now! But only the Mail application configured to Gmail, and Opera Mini. Nothing else appears to work. Also the internet speeds are quite slow through Opera, any methods to boost this? I'm on a 12.5 mbps cable connection. And, is there any way to secure this proxy and make it private just to me?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by kripter; 2010-07-05 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Are you using xp or 7?

Are you using xp or 7?
    Win 7 64bit

Thanks

Ok, for 7, go to control panel and in the top right type search box "firewall" and then click the link that says "Allow a program through Windows Firewall". On the next screen you will see a list of programs on the machine, but Squid is not there. Click "Allow another program..." and navigate to where you saved Squid. The .exe for me is in Csquid\sbin\squid.exe

Once you add it to the list, you can scroll down the list and then click the check boxes to allow it.

As for securing it, I am am not sure yet. Just figured this out last night and haven't had a chance yet. I hope ANT can answer that one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalreflex For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Hi

I'm trying to understand what this "squid" process really do. If everything is done right, would it allow you to received incoming email, check the weather from the iphone apps? I know there's a free proxy that my wife used(iFailHard Briefing), but you are limited to just the internet and nothing else. Does this squid process works the same way?

Thanks

Squid is a proxy server that runs on your home pc and allows the iPhone with sidekick plan to access email, Internet, and most apps work (some I think just don't work via server)

I wanted to update you guys on this. The guys at F R E E - I P H O N E * S I D E K I C K - CO - CC updated the config to fix the traffic that flows to allow it to be optimized for mobile web sites that optimize themselves. before it would get confused and send data like a PC connected to the web. You will want to download the config from the site and replace the config you currently have with the new one and stop the squid server and start it. Or just restart your PC. Looks like they are doing good with the config changes. This new config is faster. Glad they are keeping this alive.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to antman1 For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Ant. I re-pasted the config file this morning and saw speeds increase at least 50% just using my speedtest app. Hopefully they will keep on adjusting the script to keep increasing the speed. It's already a lot faster than the middle speed offered by the other website that wants to charge $2 a month!

Any idea about securing the script down further?

Not really yet. The key will be to read though that config and see what all can be tweaked.

i think i set up the stuff wrong.. i need helplol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidsays View Post
    i think i set up the stuff wrong.. i need helplol
    Need a little more info to help out

Where do you think you went wrong?

I think I've done everything to the T on the guide. I've also followed along and opened up a firewall exception for squid.

About to test it out and see how this works, I can't believe I had never heard of something like this. Man I'm out of the loop! xD

Edit:

Well I pretty much just did this without knowing what the hell I was doing in the beginning (still somewhat confused). I went ahead and used antman's newbie friendly install.bat file to do all the work for me. Then I just followed the guide.

I installed the mobileconfig I cooked up the easy way by going to Devices -> iPhone -> Configuration Profile -> Install.

Rebooted my phone, and nothing.

One quick note is that when I go to General -> Network -> Cellular Data. My iPhone seems to close out, I cannot go inside and see what it wrote at all.

This might sound stupid but.. having an -actual- sidekick plan is not needed right? Because I'm using the $9.99 internet2.voicestream.com for online, and I got that thanks to my old RIZR Z3 phone.

Lastly, when I export do I just leave it as is? Aka "Sign Configuration Profile" or do I change that at all?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by RaiV3R; 2010-07-09 at 03:36 AM.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

Thanks

I think you need to have the sidekick plan for it to work.

When I exported the config file I just clicked File->Export-> and named the file and emailed it to myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast