Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.0 performance speed on 3G

Default iOS 4.0 performance speed on 3G
    I recently upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 on my iPhone 3G and I noticed that the new system seems too heavy for my phone... Since I restored from a backup, I suspect that it might be the case why my phone is not running smooth...

Is it normal for the 3G to have that much of a decrease in performance with 4.0?

I also compared my 3G with my friend's 3GS and his phone runs a lot smoother than mine (I do not expect my phone to open apps and run as fast as a 3GS but at least to run the springboard just as smooth as the 3GS).
    Housekeepin'?

Thanks

I did notice a big slow down from 2.x.x to 3.0 - but when I upgraded to 4.0 it actually seemed faster. However, I did set up my 3G as a "new phone" when I updated through iTunes. This is because I was going to sell it the next day or so. So setting up as a new phone definitely helped with the speed issue. Multitasking was surprisingly faster than backgrounder. Then again, I wasn't running cydia widgets like Quickreply and SBSettings - it was just a plain old unlocked phone.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Mine is slow as balls too. I have to use SBSetting to free memory to speed it up often.

always setup as new. and don't turn on wall papers because it causes a big slowdown.

I upgraded to 4.0 the other day, and I noticed that the memory was slow because I had multitasking on. For me, using backgrounder is easier, cause I can specify which programs I want to keep running. And I like the double-home button to get to my favorites.

Now my 3g runs better with 4.0 than when I had 3.1.2.

Is there a way to disable Multitasking and Background through Settings?
    Housekeepin'?

I did mine through redsn0w... there's an option to disable it there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    Is there a way to disable Multitasking and Background through Settings?
    Not in settings. It's really not supposed to be in the 3G...you have to re-jailbreak.

I agree with you guys.. i upgraded from 3.1.2 to 4.0 and my phone is very very sluggish especially the keyboard typing. I almost just want to go back to 3.1.2 ... I basicly compare it to trying to put windows 7 on a older computer. my friend with a 3gs is alot smoother but i guess this is due to the processor on a 3gs being twice as fast as a 3g. disabling multitask on redsnow seems like a good idea i will try that in hopes to getting the phone to run a little more efficient, this is probably why apple didnt give the 3g users the multi tasking option, because the processor in the phone cant handle it. If i wanted is it possible to go back to 3.1.2 ???

thanx

This is what I did.... I had 3.1.2, updated to 4.0 GM through itunes. Then ran redsn0w 3, not the newest one because I think the newest one doesn't allow you to change network settings. One of the options in redsnow is to disable multitasking and wallpaper. I then installed ultrasnow through cydia.

I use backgrounder to do multitasking because there are only a few programs that I want running in the background. I can totally control any app that I want to continue running. I hated the fact that Safari was running even when I closed it, as well as messages and mail.

My iphone is running faster than 3.1.2, and I haven't had any problems so far.

i havent had problems since updating to 4.0 on my 3g

i also turned off multitasking and walpaper and phone runs alot smoother
    Last edited by s1l3nt; 2010-06-29 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1l3nt View Post
    i also turned of multitasking and walpaper and phone runs alot smoother
    worked for me too...

hey guys i used pwnage tool to upgrade from 3.13 to ios 4.0 and i have backgrounds on.....needless to say this slows it down! any way to take it off without rejailbreaking, or should i downgrade??

Thanks

It would be a lot easier to re-jailbreak...

Yea... I guess I will be re-jailbreaking my phone today without Multitasking and Background and if it does not run smooth, I will have to find a way to downgrade it (I don't know if it will be possible though, I upgraded from 3.0 straight to 4.0).

Besides the fact that it is slow on 4.0, it is crashing into safe mode a lot...
    Housekeepin'?