Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question about smartphone data plan on iphone 3g

Default question about smartphone data plan on iphone 3g
    Im deciding whether to get another iphone (i upgraded mine on mistake) OR just get a blackberry 9700 bold. The thing is i just want internet to work properly.

DOES THE T MOBILE SMARTPHONE PLAN with 3g(I HAVE THE ONE FOR THE hd2) WORK WITH UNLOKCKED IPHONE 3G? And will it be slow (as in edge slow)?

are there any rules to it ( as in it has to be a special baseband etc). Thanks guys ill be buying one of the two tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Sorry but an iPhone will not get 3G speed on T-Mobile. This is because T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency than other carriers; one that the iPhone does not operate on. So you will only be able to get the edge data speed.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Its actually not that bad on edge when browsing the web or using google maps. Especially with opera mini

My friend ditched her iPhone for a Blackberry. She just sold it and bought an iPhone yesterday -.- Blackberries also require a BB data plan for 24.99 if you want to use RIM branded apps like push email and IM and all sorts of other stuff. If you want to only pay $9.99 for web then the iPhone can use that and utilize ANY iPhone app. BB limits you to using third party apps, including third party web browsers.

But if youre cool with paying $15 more for the same data plan just so you can use all BB features, then go for it.

iPhone ftw, IMO :P
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-26 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost