Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are you happy with T-MO?

Default Are you happy with T-MO?
    I am going to be returning to the US soon after an extended time away and am wondering, how is T-MO's reception and internet speeds? are you happy with T-MO? is the Even More plus plan with the $10 internet added on worth the savings over ATT?

Is there anything else I need to think about or consider if I go with T-MO? (I have a Factory unlocked 3GS from HK so I'm not worried about needing to keep it unlocked)

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Yea I mean if you've used 3G speed you'll definitely feel the difference. T-mobile's 3G frequency is not compatible with the iPhone, so you will only get EDGE. Personally I think it's pretty slow. Other than that, coverage and reception is pretty good, but it depends where you live. I haven't had any problems with metropolitan areas but when I travel to rural areas the coverage is pretty spotty (ie. Virgina, North Carolina). I'm pretty happy, and for those who are on a tight budget it's definitely worth it. You can't beat $50/month for 500minutes, unlimited data and unlimited text (even more plus 500 +text + web2go). Compare that to a bill of $105 with AT&T. Basically you're paying over $55 for 3G speed and visual voicemail.

I personally may switch to AT&T this summer if the iPhone 4G is worth it. But I'd only do that because I can afford it now. AT&T only has 3G in certain areas, and I'm lucky that in South FL it's pretty much all covered. So my suggestion, if you are in a tight budget get T-mobile. If you don't care for 3G, get T-mobile. If you live in a non-metropolitan area, check both companies' coverage. If you want 3G and live in a city, and can afford $100+ month, get AT&T.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

eremeya (2010-05-24)

the coverage is really spotty. like adp said if u have the money for it go for att

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

i like it
    only problem is no 3g on iphone

Yup due to the difference in frequency thatthe carriers use. I had AT&T but the 100+ a month is killing me and I'm a college student so it's worth it for me. Depends on what your priorities are.

T-Mobile is good if your pockets aren't deep..

They have ok coverage, but I run into dead spots. No 3G sucks, but for $10, can't complain about it.

If it wasn't for their prices being so low, I wouldn't be using them..

If AT&T wasn't so god damn retarded, I'd sign up with them. They want a $500 deposit! My apartment deposit was less than that!

Thanks

Is the $500 because of your credit?

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Is the $500 because of your credit?
    Apparently.. My credit score isn't great (still young...), but I qualify for decent rate credit cards, can get an autoloan easily through my Credit Union and no other carrier wants a deposit.

Thanks

That's ridiculous. What do they think? You're gonna take the iPhone and run? lol

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    That's ridiculous. What do they think? You're gonna take the iPhone and run? lol
    Hahahaha, I know!

I brought my 3G[S] into the store to signup for service, but they want a $500 deposit AND 2-year contract even if I bring my own iPhone! So it has nothing to do with the subsidized price, because I own my iPhone.

If AT&T would've let me sign up, I'd be willing to pay the price for having an iPhone on an offical carrier.

I was looking at like $130/month for unlimited talk/text/web on AT&T. I don't have a problem with the price, as they have better service where I'm at and real 3G.

Oh well, for decent coverage and EDGE only getting unlimited everything, paying T-Mobile $50 ain't too bad

Why wouldn't I be? AT&T is garbage here, dropped calls all over the entire city. It's just awful.. if I want a reliable iPhone I have basically no choice. That said the coverage I get is excellent, I'm never without a signal - be it one bar (on my iPhone).

Lovely

Not

Do not go with t-mobile, you get so many dropped calls
    and the only data you can use is EDGE which is extremely slow.
    I would recommend just going with at&t

Thanks

Wrong. Go read consumer reports about AT&T's huge problem with dropped calls in the iPhone. Pretty much every time your phone switches from 3G voice to EDGE voice, it will drop your call. Even here in south FL where there's 100% 3G coverage, my friends complain constantly about dropped calls. I've never had a random dropped call in the years I've had the iPhone on tmobile. No 3G, but less than half the price. Your choice. But don't go spreading false rumors about dropped calls without any proof.

Well, i hardly use internet on my phone and so is no point of me getting an 3g service. Edge on tmobile is working fine on my 3gs and i hardly get dropped calls.

I have Tmobile after horrific experiences on ATT. I love the service, and I barely ever use the EDGE because most places I go I cannect to the wifi and the phone seems fine. The customer service team at Tmobile knows more about the iPhone that ATT does, and its not even their product.