Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: friend gave me an unlocked tmobile iphone

Default friend gave me an unlocked tmobile iphone
    Hi,

my friend gave me an unlocked tmobile iphone... i dont know what to do next... i want to delete all of her stuff on it and start "fresh"...

what options do i have?
    ive tried to google and looka round the forums, but i may not be typing in my question correctly...

thanks for ur help

Well We need some information

What kind of iPhone is it? an iPhone 2G(Silver Back with black base)

iPhone 3G/3G[S] (You can tell the difference by going to Settings, General, About and looking at the model number) [Completely black back, plastic] (MB Is an iPhone 3G, MC is a 3G[S]

What firmware is it on? Also in Settings/General/About
    What is the Modem Version? Once again, Settings/General/About
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

cool... thanks for your help so far

heres what you requested...

iphone 3g... 16gb
    Version 3.1.2
    modem firmware: 05.11.07

i hope this is all correct

You need to find a 3.1.2 IPSW. It will have to be activated(Meaning that you don't need an official SIM card to get past the Slide for Emergency screen.

Make sure it is a 3.1.2 IPSW if you get a 3.1.3 it will update your baseband, preventing an unlock.

You will have to google.. Make sure you find one that is a 3.1.2 iPhone 3G IPSW activated with Cydia.

but I would wait for other peoples confirmation because I'm only 90% positive with the unlock thing.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

If you want to delete everything and you don't care about the jailbreak or unlock just updated and restore it to factory settings using itunes.

If you want to keep the jailbreak and the unlock you will fist need to saved your phone SHSH on Saurik's server. After that get your SHSH out and follow this guide: http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...an-saurik.html

Quote Originally Posted by xXrkidXx View Post
    Well We need some information

iPhone 3G/3G[S] (You can tell the difference by going to Settings, General, About and looking at the model number) [Completely black back, plastic] (MB Is an iPhone 3G, MC is a 3G[S]
    Not always true.

Mine is a 16GB 3GS, MB model number. Brand spanking new March of 2010.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

So, what do I do? Go to settings and reset everything and then start this jailbreak process thing that cerote attached?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Just follow the guide and it will get everything going.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Set up a new itunes account, then sync the phone to your new itunes (which should be blank). This will wipe out everything except jailbroken items, which I assume arent too difficult to remove manually. If you want to wipe out contacts, mail, photos, etc just sync it to a new clean itunes account. This avoids a restore which a new user can potentially mess up and accidentally upgrade the baseband and lose the unlock. You also get to keep your jailbreak and save you the trouble of having to do it all over again. If you dont need the unlock and have a valid ATT SIM then restoring would be easiest.