Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: considering moving from att to t-mobile?

Default considering moving from att to t-mobile?
    Hi Guys,
    I am at att and being ripped $30 a month for internet that i dont use that much. Considering cancellin this bs and moving to the T.
    Just wanted hear your opinion. I will probably get some free phones moving 3 lines so that could remedy the cancelation fee. I have 2 lines under contract...but just wanted to know what are the internet options on T-mobile....
    thanks

Thanks

You can easily get web2go, which is unlimited data for $9.99 per month. Only downside of tmobile is that you won't get 3G speeds - Edge only.

so if switch "edge only" on my i that will be a good approx of what web2go works?

sometimes it seems that edge only does not do anything on att and i get "unable to connect" errors etc
    Last edited by mrxmry; 2010-05-01 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Well just go to settings and turn 3G off. That will give you an approximation of the speed. You should have a blue E on your status bar. It's about 1/4 of the speed

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Mm if you can stand the slower speeds and taking 5 minutes to load a 3 minute YouTube video you should lol. Actually considering how I'm still young and have a very low amount of money (paying off a new car monthly, phone bills, electric bills, gas bills, rent, etc...) I use T-Mobile. But once I get my car paid off (yay, frees up $450 a month for me!) I'm going to switch to AT&T. Where I live, T-Mobile has decent reception (except at work, I have to sit in the front of the building to get internet working, even running Opera it's still a bit slow) but call quality is just dandy! Depending on how much you use the internet and what you use it for, T-Mobile could be a good or a bad way to go. I've got 2 years on my T-Mobile contract but once that's up (my car will be paid off by then too) I'll be glad to spend that extra $30 for 3G speeds that the iPhone was made to perform fantastically on.

I'm not unhappy with T-Mobile Edge, it gets the job done when I'm bored at work. But I must say, there will be times where the internet gets too slow and bugs that crap out of me. It's all good though, if you're a patient person or just low on money T-Mobile is a real good way to go. I also want to switch to AT&T because I'm so tired of worrying about losing my unlock and I really don't want to spend extra money on buying a factory unlocked phone for $200 more than a US iPhone. Sorry for this long novel haha, it's just my personal experience. Hopefully it has helped though.

Thanks

I agree with you. The only reason why I'm still on T-mobile is because I'm still under contract, which expires this summer (just in time for the 4G!!!). I have nothing against T-mobile, but the slow speeds just make me really angry sometimes. I'm also tired of my slow 3G iPhone, and don't wanna spend $600 on the next gen phone. Although I'll miss the $9.99 data plans...but I'll stop whining when I get 3G and don't have to wait when switching my Slacker Radio app songs.

I also don't like depending on someone else to use the latest firmware. Although it would be hard to live without a jailbreak, it sucks waiting for the next unlock while everyone else can use the new FW
    Last edited by adp; 2010-05-07 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Totally agree. Sometimes I get 1 bar at work and I have to move around to find a better reception lol. I'm probably gonna buy the new iPhone when a jailbreak is available. And when the price drops at least $100 lol which could probably take quite a bit of time...

Thanks

Lol yea the 2G's are still in the 100's...Edge on 5 full bars is not horrible. But anything under that is ridiculous. I used a friends 3GS with 3G over MyWi and it practically was like being on wifi.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->