Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TMobile w/ iPhone 3G - plan and other questions

Default TMobile w/ iPhone 3G - plan and other questions
    Hi all,

Right now I have an unlocked iPhone 3G (3.1.2, via blacksn0w RC2 method). I tried my friends TMobile SIM and it accepted it (though I didn't configure any of the settings, just wanted to make sure it would take the SIM).

Basically right now I am stuck on AT&T contract until July. I'm absolutely sick of paying what I pay for the terrible service I get. What I thought I would do would be to somehow get a prepaid text/data plan for TMo for use in my iPhone, then lower my AT&T plan to the most basic minute plan (I do have an old AT&T phone I can throw my SIM in there). This might be a pain having to carry two devices for a bit but until my contract is up at least I don't have to pay my ETF. Once July rolls around, I'd dump AT&T and go with the Even More Plus plan 500 min/unlimited text/web for $60/mo.

So,
    1) I've heard about some SideKick plan on prepaid. Sounds about amazing but appearently they killed it off. Any way to get it working again? Other options for at least unlimited data via TMo Prepaid? If not, I guess I just hold on to AT&T until July when my contract is up.

2) Once I go to Even More Plus, there is no contract correct? (Might decide to get a new phone sometime near the end of this year, this is just a temporary gig for awhile).

3) Does MMS/Internet/Tethering/Push, etc all work? Right now I use MyWi for tethering, and obviously with AT&T I don't need to worry about the other stuff not working since it's officially supported.

If anyone can clear this stuff up, or point me in the right direction for up to date info (its hard to find stuff these days), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thanks

1) Unfortunately T-mobile doesn't offer a prepaid data plan, with the exception of flexpay - but this requires a 29.99 voice plan (which is not pre-paid). The sidekick plan got killed off, although there's minor reports that some are able to access data through proxies.

2) Correct, Even More Plus has no contract. The cheapest you can go for voice is the 500min $29.99 plan, add unlimited text for $10 and unlimited data (web2go) for $9.99

3) Yes - it all works with the exception of VisualVoicemail. Also, you will not get 3G speeds. You will only get Edge as a max, which is extremely slow if you try wifi tethering (it's a bit faster through USB tethering, but nowhere near 3G).

I would recommend sticking with AT&T for a few months. You're gonna pay at least $40 with T-mobile anyway, and your AT&T bill won't go lower than that. Once your contract is done, switch over to EvenMorePlus.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    1) Unfortunately T-mobile doesn't offer a prepaid data plan, with the exception of flexpay - but this requires a 29.99 voice plan (which is not pre-paid). The sidekick plan got killed off, although there's minor reports that some are able to access data through proxies.

2) Correct, Even More Plus has no contract. The cheapest you can go for voice is the 500min $29.99 plan, add unlimited text for $10 and unlimited data (web2go) for $9.99

3) Yes - it all works with the exception of VisualVoicemail. Also, you will not get 3G speeds. You will only get Edge as a max, which is extremely slow if you try wifi tethering (it's a bit faster through USB tethering, but nowhere near 3G).

I would recommend sticking with AT&T for a few months. You're gonna pay at least $40 with T-mobile anyway, and your AT&T bill won't go lower than that. Once your contract is done, switch over to EvenMorePlus.
    Okay. I understand the lack of 3G - which will be a bummer but I have Wifi in most places and EDGE can still check email and basic web surfing alright. Now, on the website it lists "500 talk/text/web for $59.99. Now if I add the $39.99 500 talk/text to my cart, I see the $10 web2go option. What's the difference between the two and is this something I need to concern myself with?

I'll probably just stick to AT&T until my contract is up in July - it's only three more months then I can jump ship and do this for awhile. Since it's no contract once I decide to get a new device (I figure by the end of the year or so) I can just go ahead and do it and not have to worry about it.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by link00seven View Post
    Okay. I understand the lack of 3G - which will be a bummer but I have Wifi in most places and EDGE can still check email and basic web surfing alright. Now, on the website it lists "500 talk/text/web for $59.99. Now if I add the $39.99 500 talk/text to my cart, I see the $10 web2go option. What's the difference between the two and is this something I need to concern myself with?

I'll probably just stick to AT&T until my contract is up in July - it's only three more months then I can jump ship and do this for awhile. Since it's no contract once I decide to get a new device (I figure by the end of the year or so) I can just go ahead and do it and not have to worry about it.

Thanks for answering my questions.
    There's absolutely no difference, so don't worry about that. Even the 34.99 smartphone plan will give you the same speeds. $50 for 500min and unlimited text+data is a really good deal. I compared this to AT&T a few days ago and the monthly bill for the same exact specs would be $100 plus all the fees. Post back in July so we can give you specific instructions on how to add the web2go. Just remember, make sure you don't mention the iPhone when adding the plan (although you should be able to do it just fine online). Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

link00seven (2010-04-23)

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll be sure to post back in July once I am ready to make the switch.

On an off-topic note: Has there been any reports of blacksn0w RC2 (the newest one that was released) messing with battery life at all? I'm figuring by July they'll probably be another unlock option available (for 4.0), but I'm just curious nonetheless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by link00seven View Post
    Thanks for answering my questions. I'll be sure to post back in July once I am ready to make the switch.

On an off-topic note: Has there been any reports of blacksn0w RC2 (the newest one that was released) messing with battery life at all? I'm figuring by July they'll probably be another unlock option available (for 4.0), but I'm just curious nonetheless.
    Honestly, I think battery life is much more dependent on how your settings are setup than your unlock method. But I'm using RC2 and I can tell you that there's no effect. If you have your e-mail checking every 5 minutes, with winterboard and other widgets, then you're gonna have poor battery life. Not only that, but your RAM will be low all the time (specially on a 3G) and your programs will crash every once in a while.