Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do i have to plug back up to a computer

Unhappy Do i have to plug back up to a computer
    to restart/reboot my iPhone? It bought it already jailbroken so I don't have any custom files but I have hooked it up to itunes in the past without issue. I know that I can't let itunes update the phone but I was under the impression that I can't EVER turn this phone off because trying to turn it back on will brick it.

Is any of this true? Can someone please help me...I admit that i'm extremely ignorant about how this all works.

EDIT - I'm on 5.11.07 firmware and running 3.1.2
    Last edited by Vonnie Boo; 2010-04-07 at 06:14 PM. Reason: to add info

Thanks

False. Do you have a 3GS?

Yes it's a 3GS and if it helps I've got blackra1n and cydia

Thanks

The only issue with 3GS phones built after week 40 is that they need a tethered jailbreak, which means you will have to plug it in and jailbreak/unlock every time you restart. However, it will NOT brick it. You'll just lose your unlock.

so even though I didn't do the original jailbreak/unlock I can do it if I need to restart the phone? (if so where can i search for info on that or do I just run blackra1n from the springboard?) Also if I install a legacy package from cydia do I HAVE to restart the phone?

Thanks

Yes you can restart your phone. You will know once you turn it back on. If you get the "Connect to iTunes" message then you will have to re-jailbreak, re-unlock (which takes 30 seconds) by downloading blackra1n here:blackweather. If your phone works normally then you have the good 3GS and you should have no problem at all.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Vonnie Boo (2010-04-08)

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    The only issue with 3GS phones built after week 40 is that they need a tethered jailbreak, which means you will have to plug it in and jailbreak/unlock every time you restart. However, it will NOT brick it. You'll just lose your unlock.
    Hi,

Yes i do agree with you as the same thing happens with me and i am doing the same but every time restart makes me irritated and even the iphone is reducing its service.

Thanks
    No signature spam... only warning

Quote Originally Posted by nitikasnv View Post
    Hi,

Yes i do agree with you as the same thing happens with me and i am doing the same but every time restart makes me irritated and even the iphone is reducing its service.

Thanks
    OY! what do you mean "the iphone is reducing its service" PS...do you have any trouble getting mms pics?