Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need advice on switching to TMo

Default Need advice on switching to TMo
    I bought a refurb 3GS a month ago and siged up for a new plan w/AT&T. My plan all along has been to cancel AT&T, pay the ETF and take the sim from my TMobile phone and use the iPhone on TMo. I've jailbroken the phone and now ready to take the next step of unlocking and cancelling AT&T. Before I do, I was hoping to get some guidance or advice so I don't screw it up.

My iphone has 3.1 itunes, 05.11.07 firmware and the old bootrom. I used blackra1n to jailbreak (untethered) and still have it installed to do the unlock w/blacksn0w.

A few questions -

1) should I cancel my AT&T service before I unlock and switch the sim?
    2) should I download the TMo bundle before cancelling AT&T service and unlocking?
    3) the sim from my TMo phone s about 5 yrs old. Will this work in today's smartphones and the iPhone in particular?
    4) is there any way to back up my firmware before doing any of this in case I run into problems?
    5) anything else I need to do or should look out for?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Thanks

1) you might wanna talk to tmobile first because sometimes they ask that u have your old number active to transfer it.

2) no, choose your tmobile plan first and then download the respective bundle.

3) it may work but ull want to change it as it gets worn out after a period of time. They should give you a free one once u switch to tmobile.

4) yes just use the backup feature when syncing to iTunes

5) whenever you switch to a plan, make sure u get either the voice only or voice + text plan (in other words don't get the voice+text+data bundle). Just add the $10 web2go unlimited data plan. Make sure tmobile doesn't know u have an iPhone though...don't take it to the store. You'll save a lot of money this way, even more that ur already doing by switching. You'll just miss the AT&T 3G speed, but the price well worth it.

Let me know if u have any other questions. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

pablodiablo01 (2010-03-31)

once you port your phone # to tmobile, you can log on to tmobile website and set up an account and just ad the $10 internet plan from the website. Just choose to show your phone as one of the ones that only requires the $10 data plan though.