Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G service on T-Mobile

Default 3G service on T-Mobile
    So is there no way to get 3G on my iphone with a T-Mobile sim card?
    I have 3G on my BB 9700 with my T-Mobile sim but when I put it into my iphone all I get is edge.

So after reading a few other post I found out the 3G Band on an iPhone 3GS only has UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) Frequencies, T-Mobile's 3G is 1700/2100 Mhz. ATT uses 2100 for upload/download, TMO uses 1700 Upload, 2100 Download and is the reason why the iPhone 3GS cannot work at 3G speeds.

So ok is the radio for 3G service a hardware issue or is it something that can be edited in the software of the iphone?
    Last edited by harrison0550; 2010-03-23 at 03:14 AM.

Thanks

wow, this discussion happened when the first iphone first came out...ok so going back..its a hardware issue and no u cant get 3G on tmobile in the U.S.A...

Ok thanks. Sorry to drag up an old question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

He was mainly saying that because back when the 2G was only edge. So people asked alot about getting it to 3g. I have had several T-Mobile phones on ATT and was always sad at only have edge.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    He was mainly saying that because back when the 2G was only edge. So people asked alot about getting it to 3g. I have had several T-Mobile phones on ATT and was always sad at only have edge.
    Yea I found a few really old post about it but was hoping since T-Mobile launched 3G in select cities in the US recently that maybe someone had found a new work around to get 3G on it. If its a hardware issue then I really dont see any way around it but oh well, always worth a shot. Thanks again

I have been trying to solve the problem for a few months with no luck. I have had many contacts with TMobile support

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

The only solution would be adding the hardware for the radio then programming the os to handle the new hardware. So by far not an easy job.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]